Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did some rough calculations and it costs me 64 cents per mile to ride my bike.

That figure includes gas, insurance, maintenance, gear, and aftermarket parts. Basically any money that went towards the use or looks of the bike.

Not sure how I feel about that. Means that my 4 mile commute to work costs me $2.56. And my 150 mile ride on Sunday cost me $96 :eek:

On second thought....well worth it

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
I'm getting $0.12 at a max per mile just in terms of gasoline. I figure insurance, gear, and aftermarket parts for the street can't run more than another 30 cents per mile at max.

Now if you add in my track costs and how slow I am on the track, my price per mile is probably in the $5 range or something ridiculous like that.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually I included my 5 trackdays too

·
13,060 Posts
Then your price per mile is overinflated.

The price per mile, even when you get fast is going to be ridiculous. It may even get more expensive due to lower mpg and faster tire wear.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Mine is approx. $0.42 with insurance, a rough (and probably incorrect) estimate of gas expense and random other seasonly maintenance. I did not include the cost of the motorcycle in that calculation either.

Of course this figure is probably horribly inaccurate.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Did some rough calculations and it costs me 64 cents per mile to ride my bike.

That figure includes gas, insurance, maintenance, gear, and aftermarket parts. Basically any money that went towards the use or looks of the bike.

Not sure how I feel about that. Means that my 4 mile commute to work costs me $2.56. And my 150 mile ride on Sunday cost me $96 :eek:

On second thought....well worth it
Damn at that rate I would've spent: 30K miles X $0.64 = $19,200

Even with all the mods three to four sets of tires + gear + goodies it can't be more than $10K to $12K for me.

;)

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Is that calculation just up to this point in time? You have to think that as time goes on, if you don't buy any more gear or mods, that overall cost/mile will decrease. To put it differently, I just bought my bike, gear, and a few mods. The bike only has 300 miles on it, so my cost per mile would be outrageous.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Is that calculation just up to this point in time? You have to think that as time goes on, if you don't buy any more gear or mods, that overall cost/mile will decrease. To put it differently, I just bought my bike, gear, and a few mods. The bike only has 300 miles on it, so my cost per mile would be outrageous.
This is true it varies per mile traveled

;)

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
freedom + convenience trump money many a times

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did not include the cost of the motorcycle in that calculation either.
I did. I included anything motorcycle-related

Did you calculate your cage to?
No

Is that calculation just up to this point in time? You have to think that as time goes on, if you don't buy any more gear or mods, that overall cost/mile will decrease.
Correct. Plus I can sell all I have and recoup some of that money. But as it stands today, I have paid $25,000 in the use and enjoyment of this bike

·
Registered
269 Posts
i have over 36,000 miles on my 04 ninja250 i paid $600 for...adding insurance, gear, maintenance, gas, registration, etc...i figured it cost me about 20 cents per mile...

and with no more fixed cost, as zxx6rr explained it will decrease as i put more mileage...:D

·
13,060 Posts
freedom + convenience trump money many a times
There is simply no substitute to getting through rush hour traffic in record time and also if you subtract the happiness derived from riding, I'm sure your dollar per mile goes down substantially.

I don't know about the rest of you but when the chips are down, I take comfort in the fact that my bike is there and I can go for a ride to clear my mind and that's worth God knows how much to me.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The amount of fun and smile-factor is way worth it. I mean, I'm pretty much riding the World's best roller coaster every single day.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts