Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies if this has already been asked, but I searched for it and found nothing. I currently have an 08 250 and am seriously debating selling it while the demand is still fairly high so I can purchase a 650. I am curious as to how they compare to each other as far as power, performance etc. I do think the 250 is much sexier than the 650, but I would like something just a little bit bigger. This is nothing set in stone, as I'm just tossing ideas around atm. I would appreciate any info anyone could provide. Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
oh boy. wrong place to ask. Get ready to get flamed...

Only thing i can add is that i sat on the 650 , and just didn't like the way it felt..... Make sure you get as much seat time as possible on any new bike you're looking at.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have just got rid of my 250 about 3 weeks ago and pruchased a 650 both bikes has there pros and cons .I can say that the 250 is a much more nimble bike

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 650R is a lot more powerful and a bit heavier than the 250R but it is well designed and easy to ride. The extra power is esp noticeable when accelerating and when passing at highway speeds. The 650R is a much better highway ride as it doesn't blow around as much as the 250R and the engine isn't running at such high buzzy RPMs. I have an older 250R (1997) and I still enjoy riding it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Depends a lot on the type of riding your doing. With the extra power and weight that the 650 has it makes it much better for highway riding/passing and faster speeds in general. If riding in the twisties, there flat out isn't a better bike out there then the 250. City riding and commuting to work/school I say are pretty even and based on how comfortable you are on the bike so that will be different for every person. Good luck.

·
Kawi for Life!
1,610 Posts
I'm glad you asked this my friend... I really say screw the 605. The 650 and 250 are essentially the SAME BIKE!!! Really no joke. Look at them. They look the same, I hear you guys always saying people ask how many CC's and they about crap themselves when you till it's just a 250. So they look the same. And come on, is 400cc really that much of a difference? More than doubling the power is no big deal anyone can handle that. Chnaces are youre new to riding and the 650 would be alright but you've more than got the hang of riding. My advice would be to go bigger, way bigger. Don't want to out grow the bike too soon, ya know? GET A BUSA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The extra power is esp noticeable when accelerating and when passing at highway speeds. the engine isn't running at such high buzzy RPMs.
Those are the reasons I am even considering switching in the first place. I do about 50/50 town/highway riding, and the 250 runs at such high rpm's and from what I have read in the forums, it still does even after changing sprockets.

As far as getting flamed, I'm not concerned about it. I have been riding for a long time, I have gear, and I never ride without my helmet. I had taken a long break from riding, and recently bought the 250 because of rising gas prices, so I still want something fairly small. I haven't said anything bad about the 250, nor did I say I wanted some crazy big racing bike. I absolutely love the 250 for both its looks and how nimble/maneuverable it is. I had read that the 650 is fairly tame and that it rides like a dirt bike, and I was interested in the opinions of people who have ridden the 250.

·
Registered
315 Posts
No experience with the 650, but from everything I have read it seems to be a very user-friendly, comfortable bike. It's a little more touring than sport, but there is nothing wrong with that. It all depends on how you ride.

You mentioned that you bought the 250R for the mileage. What mileage are you getting now at 50/50 city/highway?? Have you researched how much the 650R gets??

At least you didn't say you were trading the 2fiddy for a "real" bike, lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been getting around 58 mpg with the 250, and from what I've read the 650 gets around 50. I will probably stay with the 250 because I absolutely love it, its price, low insurance etc, it just makes me nervous running such high rpm's for extended periods of time at highway speeds.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Anybody else think the 650 kinda looks like Alien in the front?

·
Registered
692 Posts
...it just makes me nervous running such high rpm's for extended periods of time at highway speeds.
If that's all your really worried about, then just change out the sprockets. I sat on a 650 once and like someone else said.. it just wasn't near as sporty. Sat almost bolt upright.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I own both currently. That and a SV650. How many miles do you have one the street on the 250 now. And I'll give you the end all answers. I promise.

·
Registered
170 Posts
it just makes me nervous running such high rpm's for extended periods of time at highway speeds.
It shouldn't, the bike is engineered with that in mind.

·
Registered
679 Posts
650 is easier to ride and has a neutral seating position so is comfy. Looks almost the same as 250(250 looks better :D). Make sure you can touch the ground though(not sure how tall you are).

See this thread for a pic comparison

http://www.ninja650.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10537

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Having driven neither I think I can safely lend my expert advice on the subject. The 250 looks just a tad bit better sitting in a parking spot next to a 650 however if you are a bigger guy or want to bring a woman on the back with you the 650 will not only look a little less like a clown car but will be able to pull the extra weight a lot better. This being said the 250 is like lil’ Mac from the NES punch-out game. It’s nimble like a mosquito and stings like a bee in the corners. But probably the most important thing you need to think about when comparing the 2 bike’s performance is that this is a story all about how my life got flipped-turned upside down And I liked to take a minute just sit right there I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel Air. In west Philadelphia born and raised on the playground was where I spent most of my days. Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool and all shootin some b-ball outside of the school. When a couple of guys who were up to no good startin making trouble in my neighborhood. I got in one little fight and my mom got scared she said 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air' I whistled for a cab and when it came near the license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror. If anything I can say this cab is rare but I thought 'Now forget it' - 'Yo homes to Bel Air' I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8 and I yelled to the cabbie 'Yo homes smell ya later' I looked at my kingdom I was finally there To sit on my throne as the Prince of Bel Air

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If I understand correctly changing to 15/41 only lowers the rpm by around 1k, although I could be very mistaken.

As to the how many miles question, it currently sits at 680 miles.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Having driven neither I think I can safely lend my expert advice on the subject. The 250 looks just a tad bit better sitting in a parking spot next to a 650 however if you are a bigger guy or want to bring a woman on the back with you the 650 will not only look a little less like a clown car but will be able to pull the extra weight a lot better. This being said the 250 is like lil’ Mac from the NES punch-out game. It’s nimble like a mosquito and stings like a bee in the corners. But probably the most important thing you need to think about when comparing the 2 bike’s performance is that this is a story all about how my life got flipped-turned upside down And I liked to take a minute just sit right there I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel Air. In west Philadelphia born and raised on the playground was where I spent most of my days. Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool and all shootin some b-ball outside of the school. When a couple of guys who were up to no good startin making trouble in my neighborhood. I got in one little fight and my mom got scared she said 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air' I whistled for a cab and when it came near the license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror. If anything I can say this cab is rare but I thought 'Now forget it' - 'Yo homes to Bel Air' I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8 and I yelled to the cabbie 'Yo homes smell ya later' I looked at my kingdom I was finally there To sit on my throne as the Prince of Bel Air
lol..lol I like your sense of humor with the Prince of Bel Air.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts