Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

New to riding, I'm buying my first bike in march 2012. Getting everything in line this season so im good to go at the start of next. Have mostly all my gear, just waiting on my bike course to get my lisence.

It's a toss up between then 650r and the ZX-600r.

I have been told i would get bored of the 650r very quickly by many ppl but then many ppl have told me i would be stupid to get a supersport 600 as my first bike.

I am 6'2" and 170 lbs if that has much affect.

Help me out here. which one? Both going to be 2011 bought at freedom cycle in Halifax, NS.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
If you've never ridden before I recommend getting a nice 2008+ Ninja 250R. Yes you may eventually get bored with the lack of horse power but you'll learn a lot from this great bike.

If your heart is set on a bigger bike than the 650R is probably your best choice.

Super Sportbikes are awesome no doubt but they are less forgiving for a new rider. Can a new rider start on a Super Sportbike? Yes no doubt but they are also much more difficult to learn on.

If you're completely new to riding I suggest a used bike since you WILL drop it.

:welcome: to Kawiforums!!

Have fun!

:D

·
Registered
603 Posts
Neither. You're 6'2"? Get a Versys. Easy to ride, cheaper than a ZX by far, especially insurance, and comfy to taller riders.

If not that, then a 650. ZX's are race replica bikes, made for a track. They aren't really a good choice for an inexperienced rider.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, tall guys might get a bit cramped on er6/650, tho being 6-2 is closer than being say 6-5.

Consider other makes too. Yamahas tend to make roomier ergo for big guys for instance.

·
Registered
640 Posts
everything everyone said above is good advice, i personally started on a 650r and i loved it however im only 5"10 130 lbs so i cannot say about ergos and such sit on a few and you decide but i def wouldnt get a 600 I4 as a first bike just my 0.02

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK great thanks guys.
So the zx-600r is totally out of the picture.

Ill take a look at the bikes you have said. as of now im thinking the 650r.

I got a quote on my insurance today. they said 1300 for the year, thats with liability, collision and fire and theft.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was in your spot 2 months ago, only 1" taller than you and chose a er6n, dont feel cramped or bored with the lack of power and also the more comfortable riding position is a definite plus

·
Registered
603 Posts
OK great thanks guys.
So the zx-600r is totally out of the picture.

Ill take a look at the bikes you have said. as of now im thinking the 650r.

I got a quote on my insurance today. they said 1300 for the year, thats with liability, collision and fire and theft.
Yeah, I always hate stomping on someone's dreams, but...

I looked up the difference in insurance between a 650r and a ZX-6 for myself. The ZX was three times as much! Ouch! The ER-6n was a little cheaper, but I compared a 2011 650r to my 2009 ER-6n, so there's a 2 model year difference, but with less plastic to replace the N might be cheaper comparing straight up.

Of course, insurance cost isn't the only factor to decide on, it's just one. Personally, I just wouldn't consider any supersport (ZX-anything, GSXR-anything, or any other 600+cc supersport class) to be a good bike as a first bike. Learn on a more manageable bike first, then move on if you still want to. I take my own advice, and rode a 250 for 2 years before I got the bigger bike...

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'd go with the er6N or 650R for a first bike. Comfortable riding position and easy to handle. The ZX-6R may be a little much for a new rider. Plus it is a much more aggressive riding position. I'm too old to be leaned forward like that. I prefer a more upright position like the 650R and er6N. You can always trade it in for a newer / faster bike in a couple years if you outgrow it or want to try something different.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
I'd go with the er6N or 650R for a first bike. Comfortable riding position and easy to handle. The ZX-6R may be a little much for a new rider. Plus it is a much more aggressive riding position. I'm too old to be leaned forward like that. I prefer a more upright position like the 650R and er6N. You can always trade it in for a newer / faster bike in a couple years if you outgrow it or want to try something different.
Dude just wondering how old are you?

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
It's a ZX6R, not 600R. Anyways I say get what you want, but I do agree that buying your first bike used is a great idea. 05 or newer ZX6R would be best because you find replacement parts for them all over the place cheap, such as here on the forum in the classifieds. You're gonna drop the thing, but you'll be less upset if you drop a used bike than a new one. There are adds all over the place for replacement parts for the ZX6R's, but hardly any for the 650.

One big thing I like most about the ZX6R: they have fully adjustable suspensions, the 650 does not. So if the ride isn't just right on the 650, then you have to buy new components rather than taking a socket and screw driver to make adjustments. Now being a new rider this may not even matter since you're only 170 lbs and won't be trying to rip through a race track on your first weekend on two wheels, BUT it is nice to have full adjustability.

Also, 599 inline 4's sound 10,000,000,000,000,000 times better than the parallel twin in the 650. That engine just sounds like a beefed up weed eater to me, and the 250 is even worse. Now these are my own opinions of course, yours may be completely different.

The 650 will be more comfy in a longer ride and still have plenty of power to play with, but a lot of guys still ride the piss out of their supersports with no issue. My ZZR has all ZX6R suspension components on it, so it sits damn near as hunched over as a ZX6R, but I ride 120 miles a day with no issues. I did the same kind of riding on my GSXR 1000, too.

Do your homework and make a wise decision. Look at what kind of riding you think you'll be doing, and start there. Don't base your decision on what everyone else is riding or be pressured into a bike you think you may not be ready for. Too often I've seen Craigslist adds for dudes selling their 600's because they "can't keep up with their buddies", when actuality the issue lies with the rider, not the bike.

You can't really go wrong with either bike, but like I said, there are differences I pointed out that I'm sure you didn't even consider.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just went to Kawasaki and Yamaha Dealer.
freedom cycle, halifax, ns.

The sales rep there suggested i dont go as low as a 250 as some have said to do. He said a nice starter bike for someone of my height would be a ninja 400r. He said it will be fine on highways and great on gas in the city. I sat on the bike in the dealer and it felt pretty good. A little bigger than the 250. felt crunched on that one.

hows the 400r?

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
where are you from? i don't even think the new ninja400r is out in USA , so reviews will be limited. Also i wouldn't buy the first model of any new bike, buy the 650r because it will be easier to find recalls,mods, and replacement parts for it.

half of the reason i disliked my 650r was because the mods, and parts are so hard to find until about 2 years after your bikes model (some mods they have to design and there is a lag of time)

·
Registered
603 Posts
where are you from? i don't even think the new ninja400r is out in USA , so reviews will be limited. Also i wouldn't buy the first model of any new bike, buy the 650r because it will be easier to find recalls,mods, and replacement parts for it.

half of the reason i disliked my 650r was because the mods, and parts are so hard to find until about 2 years after your bikes model (some mods they have to design and there is a lag of time)
Since the dealer he went to was in Nova Scotia... I bet Canada.

The 400 looks interesting, but only because it puts the bike in a different insurance class. Why not spend a little less and get a 250, or a little more and get the 650?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ive always thought for newbies its better to buy a 1st hand bike? Seeing that with 2nd hand bikes u might not know what to look out for in terms of what the bikes been thru unless its a very reputable reseller.

Down the road i wouldnt mind upgrading to a more powerful 2nd hand bike with more experience but id think if your startinng out u want a ride that grows with u to inspire confidence, not a 2nd hand with dodgy gearing, mushy suspension n temperemental engine (im exagerating of course).

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Ive always thought for newbies its better to buy a 1st hand bike? Seeing that with 2nd hand bikes u might not know what to look out for in terms of what the bikes been thru unless its a very reputable reseller.

Down the road i wouldnt mind upgrading to a more powerful 2nd hand bike with more experience but id think if your startinng out u want a ride that grows with u to inspire confidence, not a 2nd hand with dodgy gearing, mushy suspension n temperemental engine (im exagerating of course).
The majority of used bikes have very little miles. Think of it like this. Wouldn't you want to fine tune your confidence on a used bike so that you can learn what you need to know in order to buy a new bike down the road? You don't want to drop a bike that you're in love with. Trust me, been there, done that, and it really sucks. When you buy your first bike you don't know shit about motorcycles. Since I bought mine, my knowledge of these things is exponentially higher than it was when I started. Now when it's time for a new bike, I know exactly what I am looking for. I know what I did and did not like on my other bike, so I can start there and find exactly what's right for me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the unpopular opinion that you should just start out on whatever you want to start out on. It has two wheels, and it hurts when you fall off, and you will be pissed when you drop it. Crashing at 5 mph or 70, is the same no matter what bike you are on. If you crash it's cause somebody did something stupid, maybe you, maybe the guy in the car, maybe your idiot buddy behind you on his bike. My opinion is you should DEFINETLY buy used. Everybody makes mistakes, and you probably will also. It's your hard earned money, buy what YOU want. Be careful and good luck.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Best first bike is a 250. You'll learn more, learn it faster and learn it better.Keep it for at least a year and 10,000 miles.

You're not too big for one as long as your ego isn't.

The 650 is sort of OK if you're content to become a mediocre cruising rider. The Supersports isn't OK.

You will get bored with a 250, but only because your confidence increases faster than your skills. As the skills increase you'll stop feeling bored. Then you're ready for a bigger bike.

Friends who tell you that you'll get bored with a 650 either aren't friends at all or are sadly lacking themselves in real riding skill.

Point - posting on a 650 sub forum, what advice did you really expect to get? Ask in the newbie sub forum for more impartiality.

Rob

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Crashing at 5 mph or 70, is the same no matter what bike you are on. .
If you really meant to say that the way it sounds you're a fuckin' idiot. I don't think that's quite what you meant to say though.

Just to be clear, crashing at 70 hurts. Crashing at 5 doesn't (much)

Rob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts