Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi..im curious to know is there any case of 'premature' intake valve failure for er6n/f/versys model out there..mostly happened at a young millage as early as 12000km.. since ours is manufactured in Thailand..In Malaysia this has been quite an issue in especially for the ones manufactured in 2012..

there are at least ten such cases that i have came across in local facebook groups.

here is one of the image of the aftermath

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
351 Posts
blimey thats a bit nasty! i sold my last thai 2012 on 13000km so no issues with that 1. ill let you know later on this year as i rack up the kms on the 1 i have now. did this bike have a pipe on it? i dont know anyone who remaps bikes in thailand after fitting a pipe. it might have an effect on fueling.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
That's a good one, might be a bad batch of keepers... saw that years back on some CG125's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
blimey thats a bit nasty! i sold my last thai 2012 on 13000km so no issues with that 1. ill let you know later on this year as i rack up the kms on the 1 i have now. did this bike have a pipe on it? i dont know anyone who remaps bikes in thailand after fitting a pipe. it might have an effect on fueling.
this particular bike is fully standard..well actually most of 'them' are in standard condition..

Sev
how many bad owners can there be? i mean if its just one or two cases then users wouldnt give a heck..and most of them claim to maintain their bike well..and plus the valve broke during low-medium speed cruising..

a victim, yellow black 2012 versys, had his valve blown at 130kmj..

another one, er6f 2012, 'it' happened at just 70kmj..

only a case that i came across where sunrock kawasaki (sole importer) replaces one to one er6f to his damaged bike..

all on low milage..

·
Registered
12 Posts
This case happen for while in thailand. many of them.

I spot same thing from case, the oil burning problems.

when cruising for long trip with high rev, can be the issue for kawa twin 650.

For mine, happen the same issue as this but not this bad at 47000km on it. Oil burning till red engine oil shown.

When I go for a trip, I always have spare 1Ltr of oil with me.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
this particular bike is fully standard..well actually most of 'them' are in standard condition..

Sev
how many bad owners can there be? i mean if its just one or two cases then users wouldnt give a heck..and most of them claim to maintain their bike well..and plus the valve broke during low-medium speed cruising..

only a case that i came across where sunrock kawasaki (sole importer) replaces one to one er6f to his damaged bike..

all on low milage..
A valve keeper is a small piece of metal used to hold the valve in place... If they fail the valve drops.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts

Sev

all on low milage..
A valve keeper is a small piece of metal used to hold the valve in place... If they fail the valve drops.

·
Registered
324 Posts
hi..im curious to know is there any case of 'premature' intake valve failure for er6n/f/versys model out there..mostly happened at a young millage as early as 12000km.. since ours is manufactured in Thailand..In Malaysia this has been quite an issue in especially for the ones manufactured in 2012..

there are at least ten such cases that i have came across in local facebook groups.

This doesn't look like a 'regular' issue... how did all that crap get in there?? :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
oh thanks Sev..didnt quite get it the 1st time

so what did kawa thai did on this problem? recall?
no recall.

If it dead, take it back to kawasaki thailand. can end up in 2 cases

First - your bike in 2 years warranty and no any mods => Free of charge

Second - Your bike out of 2 year warranty or see any mods (Pipes/filter/etc...) = you pay full bill

------------------------------------------

Most of the bike change pipes, so you know:Bring it on:

·
Registered
6 Posts
got the same case
versys 2012, 15000 km
engine stop during my ride with a ugly sound

now the dealer says that the valve and piston are broken
waiting a photos from him

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice pictures. Dropping a valve is not something that happens from misuse or modifications. Either the keepers were not installed properly or they were defective. Soft metal, etc. I've only ever seen this happen after replacing valves where a technician did not properly seat the keepers. Ymmv

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts

Ohh :( That picture makes my heart sink. Hopefully the dealer gets it fixed under warranty. If not I'd be contacting my Kawasaki area warranty rep and raising hell.

·
Registered
351 Posts
ive asked around in my thai kawasaki shop and they reckon the malasian ones were down to crap quality fuel........correct me here but its something ridiculous like cents a gallon down there. we have thai bikes in the high 60,000 kms which havnt had issues and i rant the ass off mine....no issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thought I'd contribute what happened to mine. Australian delivered 2012 model. Always serviced on time and well maintained. Ridden hard but nothing it shouldn't have been capable of. Touring Tasmania in the middle of nowhere riding reasonably hard towards a corner then silence. Clutched it then rolled to the side of a bend. Checked everything I could on the side of the road. Engine would not turn over locking up wheel when attempting to roll start. On the back of the ute and off to the dealership. Engine bent some valves. No further info but it was shipped back to manufacturer and brand new engine fitted. Dealer was exceptional throughout process. Always filled with 98 octane. Lived inside so always clean. Happened at 20303kms. No idea what occurred but certainly happened quickly, I'm just glad it wasn't 5 seconds later mid corner.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Thought I'd contribute what happened to mine. Australian delivered 2012 model. Always serviced on time and well maintained. Ridden hard but nothing it shouldn't have been capable of. Touring Tasmania in the middle of nowhere riding reasonably hard towards a corner then silence. Clutched it then rolled to the side of a bend. Checked everything I could on the side of the road. Engine would not turn over locking up wheel when attempting to roll start. On the back of the ute and off to the dealership. Engine bent some valves. No further info but it was shipped back to manufacturer and brand new engine fitted. Dealer was exceptional throughout process. Always filled with 98 octane. Lived inside so always clean. Happened at 20303kms. No idea what occurred but certainly happened quickly, I'm just glad it wasn't 5 seconds later mid corner.
Glad to see you are ok as this could turn really ugly and kudos to the dealer!

·
Registered
351 Posts
looks like the valves have fallen off the stem leaving the stem still in the head attached to the spring etc?
that sort of thing would be caused by metal fatigue or overheating normally

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
OMG, These pictures make me want to cry :(

1 - 20 of 32 Posts