Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guys - i'm total noob at mechanics so I can't tell your the cause. My dealer also don't know for sure.
Mileage - 15000 km. Serviced at official dealer all the time. Oil is ok. Used for lazy commuting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
650r premature valve failure

This is not related with the warranty.Even the warranty is over,you still can make full repairing claim from Kawasaki. Because their have so many cases already for 2012 Er6n model.The engine is malfunction because of the improperly assembly of the internal parts or the quality of the valve itself has failed.If Kawasaki really have make a compulsory recall for those problem bike,its would not have so much complaint now.You can make claim through the Tribunal Tuntutan Pengguna Malaysia,
Kementerian Perdagangan Dalam Negeri, Koperasi dan Kepenggunaan.The website is ttpm.kpdnkk.gov.my.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any US units affected yet?
I have a 2009 US unit that I believe has had this same problem; as others said, I used it as a commuter and it was never ridden hard. Had extended warranty which ran out 3 months prior to this incident. Will be contacting Kawasaki to see if they can do anything at this point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is not related with the warranty.Even the warranty is over,you still can make full repairing claim from Kawasaki. Because their have so many cases already for 2012 Er6n model.The engine is malfunction because of the improperly assembly of the internal parts or the quality of the valve itself has failed.If Kawasaki really have make a compulsory recall for those problem bike,its would not have so much complaint now.You can make claim through the Tribunal Tuntutan Pengguna Malaysia,
Kementerian Perdagangan Dalam Negeri, Koperasi dan Kepenggunaan.The website is ttpm.kpdnkk.gov.my.
Does this affect versys 2012 too.. juz bought a used one...not sure any valve clearance done..can i still go to kawa centre?

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can call up kawasaki center & give the engine number. They will records if the bike has been done clearance & valve changing with them

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Does this affect versys 2012 too.. juz bought a used one...not sure any valve clearance done..can i still go to kawa centre?
I wouldn't worry too much as the affected motorcycles were mainly Malaysian spec and made in Thailand.

There was an initiative by Kawasaki to replace the exhaust valves there which was characterized as a "silent recall" but believe me, if there was even a hint of a generalized problem with their engines it would have triggered a global recall.

A recall is much better for a company than engines popping exhaust valves out of the blue all around the world.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi..im curious to know is there any case of 'premature' intake valve failure for er6n/f/versys model out there..mostly happened at a young millage as early as 12000km.. since ours is manufactured in Thailand..In Malaysia this has been quite an issue in especially for the ones manufactured in 2012..

there are at least ten such cases that i have came across in local facebook groups.

here is one of the image of the aftermath

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I was losing throttle response during a season ride 2020 precorona. 2010 ER6N I am the original owner never bullied engine. Took bike in for a seized cylinder 2 plug. Repair shop just called me three broken valves with 3000 miles on the OD. Sad sad song for my beloved. She had a hell of a heart attack so young. This Thai bikes seem to be prone to issue even when babied. Guess that's what makes them budget bikes. Total repair cost $1700. Not sure how the after repair will turn out but my heart sank when I got the call today and read this forum. Never the less I'll try to get some photos posted. Let the good times roll my kawi compadres.

IMG_20170709_111414784.jpg

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I was losing throttle response during a season ride 2020 precorona. 2010 ER6N I am the original owner never bullied engine. Took bike in for a seized cylinder 2 plug. Repair shop just called me three broken valves with 3000 miles on the OD. Sad sad song for my beloved. She had a hell of a heart attack so young. This Thai bikes seem to be prone to issue even when babied. Guess that's what makes them budget bikes. Total repair cost $1700. Not sure how the after repair will turn out but my heart sank when I got the call today and read this forum. Never the less I'll try to get some photos posted. Let the good times roll my kawi compadres.

View attachment 138077 View attachment 138077
Always gutted to hear news like that :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
As of today I have received my beloved back and the triple valve replacement required a new head replacement so pretty much riding a brand spanking new 2010 ER6N so this summer will be filled with long cruising speeds till she breaks in nicely and with a much more experienced ME. I did alot of growing up with this 650cc bike and honestly after correction 6000 miles on the OD I don't mind the expense she has been a trusty steed. It was just a reinvestment into a bike that I truly love in NYC since she is a production street fighter she takes a beating just parked during the seasonal changes that occur even with a Dowco all weather cover. I felt gutted but hearing that engine back too life is restoring my faith in Kawasaki all over again. LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL WHOOOOOOOOO 2020 COVID cant stop our thrills. Her name is Shadow by the way I will post updated picture after a wash and some remaining maintenance.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
As of today I have received my beloved back and the triple valve replacement required a new head replacement so pretty much riding a brand spanking new 2010 ER6N so this summer will be filled with long cruising speeds till she breaks in nicely and with a much more experienced ME. I did alot of growing up with this 650cc bike and honestly after correction 6000 miles on the OD I don't mind the expense she has been a trusty steed. It was just a reinvestment into a bike that I truly love in NYC since she is a production street fighter she takes a beating just parked during the seasonal changes that occur even with a Dowco all weather cover. I felt gutted but hearing that engine back too life is restoring my faith in Kawasaki all over again. LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL WHOOOOOOOOO 2020 COVID cant stop our thrills. Her name is Shadow by the way I will post updated picture after a wash and some remaining maintenance.
Glad to read this my friend, happy riding!

You are in love with your Er just like I am after all these years, I wish you the best Kawi thrills :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
As promised used some BioWash and a 1 Gallon weed sprayer and cleaned her up for my fellow riders. Still needs a few part swaps from old age like the lost plastic fairing on the right not shown under the tank and some sliders I haven't picked out yet but otherwise I am in love again. Its like a failed marriage that was kissed by an angel if I can explain it any other way. If you are wonder whats with the Honda Shadow sticker it was the training bike that I learned on when I first got my license all those years ago. I put them on in memory.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts