Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went canyon riding today and it was 90+ degrees everywhere. After two passes up and down a 7-mile stretch, the suspension started to get weird, kinda started to pogo. Is it just the heat making the damping go away? It really started to un-nerve my ride, so when i got to the top i waited about an hour. When i resumed the ride it felt good again, but by the time i got to the bottom it was pogo-ing again. Has anyone had better luck with aftermarket shocks/suspension?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
It is not unusual for fork and shock oil to heat up during hard riding and lose viscosity, though I have to admit that the conditions you describe don't seem to be extreme enough to warrant that kind of change.

I ride all day long ( in twenty minute sessions) in 100 plus weather at the track and don't have much trouble with overheating suspension fluid, though my bikes all have remote reservoirs.

Just not enough experience with the stock shck to have an opinion. How old is the fork oil/shock oil? It loses its viscosity as it ages and turns pretty funky, that may be part of the problem. I change fork oil a minimum of yearly.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Had the same issue with the Bike on the track...i am 235 with gear and the stocker was just no having it.
hugh track temp,big weight and squish and sag...
Thats why the OHlins went in there.....

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
as of right now the bike is sitting in the garage as i had to leave and go to turkey (ARMY).
So didnt get the forks done YET...
will be doing them 1st week in Sept...either Ohlins cartridge OR
going to try the traxxion cartridge.

Have a nice Ohlins set up with MY RC51 andlove the front end.

The stock 6R spring is way to soft for my weight and cant get it dialed in (static sag)...and the feedback is nothing as good as it could be. thus going to do the cartridge deal...
traxxion $1000.00 Ohlins $1600.00 just not sure how much better the Ohlins is...will decide by then i am sure.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I've heard th Ohlins are like magic. I'm currently resisting the temptation to do the usual pipe/PCIII/map thing, and save the money for suspension.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.