Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

750 MILES IN ONE DAY?

2K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  cyberdos 
#1 ·
Can it be done on a zx-6r? im planning on taking a trip from missoula, montana to seattle which is 500 miles. Then from seattle to San francisco the next day which is 750-800 miles. what do ya think?

#5 ·
I did 850 miles on my '02 ZX-6E a few weeks ago on the way down to Deal's Gap. Remember to move around a lot on the bike and take some breaks whenever you stop for gasoline. And don't drive tired-that's when you make stupid mistakes.

On a related note, after the ride down and back from NC I decided to get a trailer. I'm a wimp, but driving back from the Gap was a major effort because my thighs were so sore from cornering 'at speed'. A comfy ride for the trip there and back is nice to have, especially if you're going to ride in sport-mode.

#7 ·
oh, I forgot to mention, if you can, try and install a throttle lock on your bike. if you make ONE upgrade to the bike, I would say that the lock is the best for long distance riding.

and if you really have the time to mess with the bike I'd go as far as going one tooth up on the front sprocket or 2 down in the rear. It helps with gas mialage plus it softens the ressonance of being at a higher RPM while cruising.

good luck.

#8 ·
Originally posted by To_OSLoW
hey nuke youve never ridden before right? when do you plan on going? i read your other post. For a new rider i wouldnt suggest going on a trip like that until u have some decent saddle time.
Ride safe
aw man, I hadn't read your thread:
http://www.KawiForums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=63403

I would DEFINITELY advise you to get some miles under your belt before attempting to do anything like this. :(

*sigh*

Please be careful out there. A trip of this length will take a lot out of you and IMO you're not ready for it. I'm not trying to be an ass, I just don't like to see people get hurt because they got exhausted and ran off the road.

be safe.

#9 ·
Hey thanks for your tips cyberdos. I never really thought about not having a cruise control or anything on a bike...
I probly should ride around a bit before i go on this trip, didnt think it was that big a deal to be experienced for going long distances. I mean i do agree somewhat but whats the difference between riding around town and riding in a different state? The exhaustion factor is one thing but i plan on stopping lots. I think i might invest in a gel seat or something too before i go. Yea about the sprockets, im not gonna mess with that stuff.

#10 ·
I'm guessing your 18-19 yrs old by your screen name so whatever we tell you will just go in one ear and out the other cause you know everything. The short hair of it is that kind of mileage would be seriously taxing to someone driving a car. Riding a sportbike any distance feels like tripling the same distance in a car. When you get fatigued on a bike reaction times increase, and rider makes more judgement errors. Weather plays a factor as well, if your now properly hydrated and acclimated to the heat that will spell disaster. You NEED to take baby steps, you already admitted to being a adrenilan junky, and have a deathwish. Start on a small bike, get some seat time, insurance is a must, MSF is a huge plus. Don't get a 600 SS/750 and think you know what the fuck your doing and go on long ass trips till your ready for that shit (i'm talking about those bikes too) So far your posts paint you as having a squid personality, and that attitude WILL get you seriouslt fucked up or killed.

#11 ·
Try buying padded cycling pants first. I bought a pair to go under my leathers and they are great. They wick away sweat so you stay comfortable and they keep your boys comfortably lofted away from the tank. Definitely worth the $24 I paid for them.

#14 ·
hope you have smooth interstates. i rode like 40 miles down i40 in oklahoma. the rough expansion joints are killers. our suspensions dont absorb those at all. its hell on the hands/wrists.
[:+1] to what everyone else said about saddle time. when your hands go numb, consentration goes to sh*t. if youre not used to those sensations, youll get hurt on a trip of that length.

be safe man.

#15 ·
Camelback sippin might be too much of a multi task while riding. Especially for a wannabe ironbutt rider. I suggest you do plenty of stops. get hydrated, stretch out and ride in small increments. Get a motel and park your bike in it( cross it off your To DO List). Take your time. take lotsa pictures. you should be alright

#17 ·
First off, hello from good ol g-funk, nuke. Second, someone said 500-800 miles a day in a cage is too much. For the record I disagree, I drove semis for awhile and you quickly learn how to go long distances without a buttload of fatigue. On a sportbike though, I agree that it pry is pushing your luck.

#18 ·
Originally posted by Broken
First off, hello from good ol g-funk, nuke. Second, someone said 500-800 miles a day in a cage is too much. For the record I disagree, I drove semis for awhile and you quickly learn how to go long distances without a buttload of fatigue. On a sportbike though, I agree that it pry is pushing your luck.
There are alot of differences between semis, which are made to comfort long distances and a regular car. but i do agree with the statement above that long distances make you more tired, then to throw a bike in the twist and thats a different story. when i first posted on this i didnt know that you were a newb and dont even have a bike yet. i would def agree with what alot of people said before about not doing the trip, i have been riding for about 6 years now and wouldnt do a trip that big. well i would if i had the proper time frame to do it in a safe manner which means alot of sleep and rest. when ever i ride even short trips i take plenty of water with me and at everystop i drink as much as i can, yes you might have to pee alot but that adds another stop to rest. i would def re think your ride and what you are going to get.

i know you have your mind set on a 600 which isnt a bad bike, but i would go with something older to start out with. i started on a 500 single from buell (the blast) and that was a perfect start to welcome me to the street world and then stepped up to a 600. but since you want a 600 so bad i would say go with an older bike like an 98-02. yes it might not have as much power and top end as the newer bikes but who cares, they are still fun. i have an 02 and still ride with the best of em that own a brand new bike. hell i might ride better than most of them on an older bike. but hey thats just my .02

#19 ·
+1 on waiting to make a long trip. You will be using muscles you are probably not used to using, in ways you are probably not used to using them. I made the mistake of taking my bike out for a 6 hour ride the first week...I was sore for 3 days, and the last hour on my way home was *very* uncomfortable. Sore ass, thighs, and forarms. My wrists and lower back were REALLY sore though. And if you are getting a 6r it has a more aggressive riding position than my 500 so it will be harder on your back until you get used to it. So I would recommend you start slow like 2 hour rides and ramp up to let your body get used to it.

#20 ·
You should definitely get experience before going on this trip.

But, getting back to your question. I did 640 miles in one day on my way down to deals gap... and a lot of it was on the blue ridge parkway with its 45 mph speed limit, which I couldn't go too much over because my dad was on a cruiser. It is definitely doable. Like everyones said, stay hydrated, take brakes, stretch, take a nap at rest area if your tired so you dont make any bad decisions.

DEFINITELY go with an older bike, the older zx6r would be more comfortable anyways than the newer one. It would be similar to my 9r, which is very comfy for the class of bike it is. I would do that trip on my 9r, but I'd probably wussy dude out and trailer down anything that had a more aggressive riding position like the 06 6r. Just about anything is doable, but it wont be comfortable, and all the handling and performance benefits that come with those uncomfortable ergonomics aren't going to be of much use on major highways anyways.

#21 ·
please don't take this long of a trip without getting some serious riding time in first. Like others said have someone else you trust pick up the bike for you and start learning in a parking lot. at least make sure you learn to swerve well and panic brake before you ride on the street.

just some other tips:

Don't make a habit of using the rear brake alot it will get you hurt. front brakes provide probly 95% of your stopping power and also when you lock up your rear which is quite easy sometimes it tends to slide out from under you.

brakes and corners don't mix well, so take it easy around corners please... don't enter corners as fast as you would in a car until you have alot of practice. eventually you'll be able to handle very well, but in the beginning no one can handle as well as they think they can...

I've already seen so many crashes and deaths this year, most of them stemming from inexperience in cornering, please don't add one to the list.

not trying to be a jerk, but your posts unfortuneatly look very familiar... you sound like someone that has alot of good times to look forward to, and it would be a shame to miss out on a lifetime of riding for something as nieve as jumping the gun a little.

#22 ·
After any ride over 250-300 miles I'm fairly useless the next day (more useless than usual, I mean). And I have a corbin seat and a double-bubble to cut the wind. This is with over three decades of riding experience.

The constant wind buffetting, engine vibration, and being forced into more or less the same position all contribute to a level of fatigue that you don't get in a car.

Aside from the techniques everyone else mentioned, be sure you change your foor position on the pegs periodically. Leg cramps get progressively worse as the day goes on. Same goes for hands/wrists. Once they start, pull over, get off, and STRETCH.

Try some more realistic distances (try a 200 mile round trip with a destination in the middle that will have you walking around for at least an hour). That will give you a taste of what "ironbutt" riding is like.

Good luck.

#23 ·
I say he makes it 150-200 miles into it and has to stop because his back will be tied in a knot and he won't have any feeling left in his tingling hands to even turn the throttle. I've done that many miles in one day on a sportbike and I can tell you there isn't anything easy about it in the least.

#24 ·
Originally posted by anarion55
After any ride over 250-300 miles I'm fairly useless the next day (more useless than usual, I mean). And I have a corbin seat and a double-bubble to cut the wind. This is with over three decades of riding experience.

The constant wind buffetting, engine vibration, and being forced into more or less the same position all contribute to a level of fatigue that you don't get in a car.

Aside from the techniques everyone else mentioned, be sure you change your foor position on the pegs periodically. Leg cramps get progressively worse as the day goes on. Same goes for hands/wrists. Once they start, pull over, get off, and STRETCH.

Try some more realistic distances (try a 200 mile round trip with a destination in the middle that will have you walking around for at least an hour). That will give you a taste of what "ironbutt" riding is like.

Good luck.

I have an 03 9r with stock seat and non double bubble windscreen and 300 mile days don't bother me. I'm only a tad bit over two decades old though. Either way, you have to agree that the 9r is a comfortable bike for the type of bike that it is?

If you were on an 06 zx6r, you would be useless for five days after a 250 mile day.

#25 ·
Originally posted by rockstar84

I have an 03 9r with stock seat and non double bubble windscreen and 300 mile days don't bother me. I'm only a tad bit over two decades old though. Either way, you have to agree that the 9r is a comfortable bike for the type of bike that it is?

If you were on an 06 zx6r, you would be useless for five days after a 250 mile day.
Yeah, when I was younger....lol. I'll be 51 next month, so I'm not as resiliant as you younger whipersnappers. LOL.

The '02 9r IS an extremely confortable bike ; one of the best in that regard in its class. The addition of the aftermarket windscreen & seat (oh, what a NICE seat) helped even more. In group rides I see lots of my pals stretching cramped legs out or shaking numb hands long before I feel the need. But after the ride I sure feel it. Getting tossed off my ATV on a fairly regular basis doesn't help either...lol (right now I have a wrist brace on from the last tree that jumped in front of me...). But what can I do? Sit at home & wait to die? F*ck that, bro; I'm RIDING.

Going to try The Dragon on the bike and Tellico on the ATV next month - and I'll be doing them more than once; I don't care HOW sore I get. A hot shower, backrub, & comfy bed will await me back at the toy hauler at day's end. Can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.