Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started restoring my 77 KZ1000A, I've had for 20+ years, and began with the carbs. Of course the carbs were in rough shape so I started with them just to see if I could get the motor to run before sinking buckets of cash into it. I ordered K&L rebuilding kits and found out that the main jets had been replaced before I bought the bike in 85. The main jets are 120's not the 105's that the kit came with. Not real sure what the pilot jets in my carbs are but the kit has 17's. Question is should I keep the 120's or go with the new 105's in the kit? Also is there anyway I can find out the size of the pilot jets that are currently in my carbs? I'm sure it depends on what kinda response I want out of the bike but again ignorance creates the question. One last question, for the time being, would the air screw most likely been changed when the carbs were rejetted, or does the air screw pretty much work universal with any size jets. I'd appreciate any suggestions or help. Thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
THe main jets would need to match airbox and pipe changes. On my GPz's, removing the airbox and switching to pod filters required a huge change in the main jets and needles. Adding a 4:1 pipe required a smaller change.

If the bike is completely stock, then you want the stock jets.

Pilot jets really need to be changed for smoothest throttle response. But they are near impossible to get anything other than stock sizes and the size seems to vary, #35 in one is different that a #35 in another. My GPz ran good with K&N pod filters and Kerker pipe, but had a flat spot coming off of idle. Changing the pilot jets fixed it (actually I reamed them with the first drill bit that did not fit.)

If you have non-stock airbox or exhaust, then stick with the 120. If it is stock, the go with the stock jets.

As for the size, check out the parts diagrams (I use parts-fiche on powersportspro.com) Often the list the jet as "pilot jet #nn", many times they don't.

The air screws are not likely changed. Usually they just turn them out a bit to adjust for the changes (and to compensate for not changing the pilot jets.)

[edit] Also, welcome to Kawiforums. We need more old-timers like us ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Shenion, I appreciate the information very much. I'm think'n that the 120's are going to go back in since I'm running, what I always called, velocity stacks. If this doesn't work hey I'll put in the 107.5's that came with the rebuild kit and try to find a stock air system. It's great to get replys from someone like yourself that has wisdom about the older KZ models. Carburetion is something I lack knowledge about. Thanks again and my appreciation for all the details on my jetting question. Can't wait to get the wind back in my face. It's been a long time coming. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.