Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive owned my bike 3 weeks and its been one heck of a learning experiance.anyhow today i hear a god awful racket in the lower gears and it sounded like i had a marble loose inside my engine.
after some detective work i found my chain had way to much slack in it.and actually found metal shavings it took off the center stand from dragging on it.

so my question is when should i replace it?what signs should i look for?i can and did fix the slack problem and all is fine now.but i think it may have stretched.
the bike only has 17k miles so its possible its the original chain.

im putting new rubber all around tomorow so i may as well do the chain the also.
so if it needs replaced what size chain do i need?im rather sure it has the stock sprockets.
secondly i wouldnt mind a little more zip so if i was to add a larger rear sprocket what should i get?i dont want extream just gear down a bit.ill do the front sprocket if its alot cheaper than the rear but id prefer to do one or the other,not both.
whats the stock tooth count btw?and what chain should be used?id rather do just the rear sprocket if possibe since its more accessable with my wheels off as it sits now.

btw im putting dunlop GT 501's on anyone have an opinion on these?
there isnt many tires made in the 140/90/16 size so im kinda limited on what i can put on it.

G

·
i would change the chain and sprockets. they only typically last about 20k miles. as for the other questions, u might have better luck searching on here or somewhere else. due to the age of the bike i doubt u'll find much info here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
of course ive searched here before asking :)
ive not found much info on the web either.i can ask tomorow when i get the tires done at the shop.
it seems the chain is rather cheap >$20 hopefully better geared sprockets arent much either.
i did see on ebay they suggested a 520-102 chain but i dont ever trust what i read there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that will mainly depend on price.
im only gonna keep this bike another year and then buy a newer model.
so long lasting isnt exactly neccessary.
tires im not skimping on as thats just not a place to be cheap on.

i did find more info that the bike uses a 15/39 sprocket setup.
id like a 15/41 setup if thats possible if anyone knows info on this stuff id appreciate the help.
also will that change the chain type doing differant sprockets?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.