Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased an '89 GPz900 (ZX900-A6). I'm not sure if these were sold in the US in '89? Mine was sold new in Japan. It appears to be hard to find info on this model.

I bought it in non-running but very good lo-miles (14K) condition. It starts fine with the choke on, but the engine dies when the choke is let go! I have removed and cleaned the carbs, which hardly needed anything. I also found a bad coil wire and replaced the 2 ignition coils with a set I had from a Honda GL1500 and installed new ignition cables.

Any Ideas? I'm going to post this question elsewhere, as soon as I can find the appropriate forum. Thx, JD

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go through and do an end to end carb check. Take them off clear a bench or workspace and check the all the jets are the correct size and that the floats are the correct height for each carb one at a time. once you're convinced everything is as it should be get the carbs back in. If you are using the original airbox and filter then make sure they are clean and that the boots that connect to the carbs are in good supple condition as this make it easier to get them back on. After that check for leaks or loose clamps and go give it a go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts