Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 ninja 250r that I can get to start occasionally when the choke is on all the way and when it does it barely idles and when it will idle i take the choke off and it dies. Ive taken the carb off and took it to the kawasaki dealer down the road and they checked everything on it and said it was perfectly fine other then all the dust on the outside of it. So now i am trying to figure out what is going on with it. I get plenty of spark. Havent checked the compression yet because I dont have one to do it with yet. When it does idle it has a really rough sound to it. I can feel the roughness of it running in the floor of the garage. And there sounds like there is a knock of sum sort. So I figured I would ask here to get sum insight as what to look for from you guys. thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
so you took it to the dealer and they were able to start it up and get it running fine? if so why didn't you just ask them to show you how they got it to start up and run well?
or did they try to start it up it ran like shit like you are describing and they said it was fine? if you are saying that is the case i call bs and have to assume you never took it to the dealer

on my 07 i tried to start it out using the choke the first time i started it up after buying it and it bogged and died. then i tired without the choke and it worked fine. i never use the choke now. may want to try that.

·
Registered
124 Posts
so you took it to the dealer and they were able to start it up and get it running fine? if so why didn't you just ask them to show you how they got it to start up and run well?
or did they try to start it up it ran like shit like you are describing and they said it was fine? if you are saying that is the case i call bs and have to assume you never took it to the dealer
from the sounds of the op it looks like he only took the carb into the dealer, not the whole bike...

·
Registered
173 Posts
My 89 is difficult to start when cold as well. It almost always needs a shot of starter fluid into the air box. I also turn the idle screw on the left side clockwise before I start it to bump up the idle, and I'll gradually turn it back as it warms up and the idle rises.

I think that an improperly adjusted choke cable can cause mixture issues, if it's not closing all the way when disengaged. Might want to check the tension on the cable. Also, sounds like this bike sat for awhile... have you replaced the obvious stuff like the fuel/air filters and the plugs?

The knock you're hearing may be the typical exhaust leak where the headers bolt up. If you can get the bike running well enough to rev up, listen to where most of your exhaust note is coming from. Should be from the mufflers, not the front of the engine!

From my experience with Mazdas, I've learned never to trust the dealership. I don't know if Kawasaki is any better.

·
Powerhungry
38,381 Posts
id think its is a carb problem. maybe try a different shop?

you need 3 things, fuel, compression, and spark for it to run.

chances are high that the compression is HIGH enough to run.
so that leaves spark, and fuel.

spark is easy to test.

pull the plugs, plug them back in. lay the threaded part against the block, or grounded somehow.
and hit the starter.
is there spark?
fuel is harder to check. sure, its easy to see if its getting TO the carb. but from there..not so easy.

my guess...its a clogged jet.
if they only LOOKED at the, theres no way to know if the jets are clear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts