Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got ahold of a 1989 zx600. Over all in great shape but found out it has 85 900gpz coils on it and some one has repaired some wiring. Currently as it seats it has two wires tapped out of a red wire going to the positive on the coils. These turn hot with ignition on. Then there is a green wire and a black wire going to ground of coils, also turn hot with ignition. Is this correct? My son accidentally grounded the black wire and it popped then backfired hard thru exhaust.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
282 Posts
mt 95 zx6r coils are wired the same way. if i remember right the green wire was to 2-3 coil, and the black wire was to 1-4 coil. if you can find the wire diagram on the internet it will tell you if they are connected properly.

going with the thread title..... you dont have spark anymore? did the issue start after the grounded wire issue or was it before? might have bad coils, or in my case my plug wires separated from the coil and werent getting a connection from the coil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the bike this way. I picked the 89 zx600 and a 85 900GPZ for cheap. Both need a little help but I grew up drooling for these bikes so had to get them. LoL

Only time I had spark, when it back fired, was when my boy accidentally grounded the black wire.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Sounds like your coils might be toast, double check that they are connected right and if so then try a new set of (used) coils. I say used because you can get a set on eBay for under $30 shipped in the states.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts