Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys think about this? i'm a little hesitant because of the bottom end "recondition". id have to ask him about mileage and what necessitated the rebuild, things like that. the guy has 100 positive feedback, but nothing as a seller. just lookin for a few more opinions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories__1996-Kawasaki-ZX9-Motor-Reconditioned-Bottom-End_W0QQitemZ320313329857QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2863QQddiZ2811QQadnZMotorcycleQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320313329857&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
hmmm....the bottom end on my 91 zx7 had 48,000 miles and it was fine whe I tore it down. So why did it need to be rebuilt..??.. the 94-96 zx9 is a little big to be a stunter...maybe drag racing...which is hard on bearings. otherwise the zx9 motor of that era is pretty durable

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
the 9 (and 11) are hard on bearing regardless of wahat you do. the wipe out the #3 and sometimes #2 big end bearings on a regular.
a thought as to why is that there is a balancer or something fed by the same passage that feeds the crank, and theres a froth developed that starves this bearing.

there used to be a kit from muzzy that routed another line to correct this problem. ask what and why, and if it was this common failure, if it was corrected permanently.. i think the hole can be dilled a few thousandths bigger to supplement more oil, and theres other things guys have dome to correct this..

THAT would be my personal guess as to why the motor was rebuilt..

doesn't mean i'm right.. just a thought..

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
the zx11 is the one with oiling issues... the zx9 is the same bottom end design as a zx7...no balancers etc. Both 7 and 9 feed the head off the end of the oil galley.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here's what i got back

About 13,000 miles when it was remove from the bike.
The motor had a bad rod. We're a local repair shop and we sell reconned ZX-11 and ZX-9 motors on ebay

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
the 9 (and 11) are hard on bearing regardless of wahat you do. the wipe out the #3 and sometimes #2 big end bearings on a regular.
a thought as to why is that there is a balancer or something fed by the same passage that feeds the crank, and theres a froth developed that starves this bearing.

there used to be a kit from muzzy that routed another line to correct this problem. ask what and why, and if it was this common failure, if it was corrected permanently.. i think the hole can be dilled a few thousandths bigger to supplement more oil, and theres other things guys have dome to correct this..

THAT would be my personal guess as to why the motor was rebuilt..

doesn't mean i'm right.. just a thought..

I don't recall ever seeing a ZX9R with counterbalancers. Am I high, or are they just over-grown ZX6R engines? I thought counterbalancers/"silent shafts" came into play on square under bore stroker engines due to harmonic resonance from rod angle A-cemetery.
Maybe I'm over thinking this a little too much. If #2 and 3 mains fail with some frequency, it's possible they just get shit stuck in the crank passages and galleys easily if filters aren't changed often enough.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
riht right.. i kinda missed the mark on that one.. the 7/9 doesn't have a counterbalace shaft... BUT, for some reason, they also loose the #2 and #3 rods at times..

not sure why. J and tough guy.. you're right, but like i said, i figured a word of caution would be better than nothing at all..

if the motors are coming fro a shop that spaecializes in THIS specific problem in these specific motors that should speak volumes as well..

it's not a coincidence that they work on 9 and 11 motors. lol.. chances are, they know the trick to correction the issue as well.. get a customer base from them. see if the customers are happy wit htheir motors sourched from these guys..

makes me wonder why the 7 never had issues to my knowledge.. maybe it's the twin oil pump thing? lol

thank again on the catch, J and TG...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well thats the kicker, this appears to be the first thing theyve sold on ebay, bought a ton of stuff, but this looks to be the first sell

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
Hmmm..... i'd get a list of what they invested into the motor.. if you see conrod bearings n the list and thats it, i'd venture to say that the motor will fault again in the (far) future...

if they've also got a little work in helping it flow better, then i'd consider picking it up..

i'm just wary on all used kawi stuff.. i loves me kawi stuff, but they seem to have oiling issues.. the 9 ( for some reason) the 11 and i hear the 14 all have a problem with it..

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i decided to lay off that one and hope a better one will show up. im not in too much of a rush. thanks for all the info though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts