Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the 7R out for a ride last night that didn't go as planned. I went to a local gas station (about 2 miles from my house) and when I shut the bike off to fill it up the neutral light and the oil light stayed on when I pulled the key out of the ignition. After I filled it up the bike wouldn't start so I had to call the wife to bring the pick up and get me. I disconnected the battery to see if whatever it was would reset itself. That didn't work and as soon as I reconnected the battery the lights came back on.
Here's some photos from today where I was diagnosing the issue:

Notice the key is out and the lights are on:

After pulling the tank,tail and airbox I jiggled the wires in the photo and the lights went out:

So now I'm thinking melted wires somewhere, so I start digging into the harness. I've found nothing so far but I eliminated a few things. Namely the ignition switch and the kill switch. If you look in the picture they're disconnected and the lights are still on:

Now I have the battery charging and I'm digging into the manual to figure this out. Any ideas on the culprit?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's an interesting thing I just noticed. Now that the battery is charged I can start the bike but the ignition key is completely useless. It's not needed to start the bike and it won't shut it off. The kill switch and start button still work though.

This has me wondering if it may be the starter solenoid possibly malfunctioning.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pulled the starter relay out of my 93 ZX7R and swapped it into the 91 to find I still have the issue. I believed the problem to be the relay but this contradicts that idea.
I also removed the fuse box and it didn't help. See attached photo.

I tested the wires at the relay and found the white wire to be constantly energized.

I followed this and it splits into 3 legs. One goes to the fuse box (which I already eliminated). The second leg goes to the alternator ( Since this takes place with power off we can eliminate that).

Here it is at the fuse box:

Here's the second leg where it plugs into the alternator plug:

and the third leg terminates at the ignition switch which is unplugged. So I'm stumped at the moment.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking starter relay, fuel pump relay, ignition box, headlight relay and even started looking at a diode in the alternator as possibly being bad. None of those things were but I believe I found the culprit.:D

This is a picture I posted earlier showing the alternator connector:

Upon further review I found this:

The white wire melted into the brown wire and powered everything constantly. This is really odd because these wires have been together like this for the last 22 years with no issues. Now I have it figured out and I'm happy. I can ride my favorite bike this weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
...it shouldn't start unless the ECU is getting 6v on the grey wire (going from memory here)...that comes from the key switch. Those contacts in the key shouldn't be closed if the key isn't set to "ON"....I think your key/ignition housing is eff'd up internally.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...it shouldn't start unless the ECU is getting 6v on the grey wire (going from memory here)...that comes from the key switch. Those contacts in the key shouldn't be closed if the key isn't set to "ON"....I think your key/ignition housing is eff'd up internally.
The 91-92 7's use a different ignition switch than the later 7's. There's no grey wire issue with the 91-92's. I also had the ignition switch, the kill switch and the junction box all unplugged at the same time and I still had the stray power issue, so the ignition switch wasn't a part of the problem. The white wire is the wire that goes to the ignition switch to power it along with the feed to the alternator and the junction box (it splits into 3 legs) so it has constant power as long as a battery is hooked up in the bike. The brown wire it melted into runs all over the bike as well for different things and this is what powered everything with the key off.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I was going to say, from your original photos, that white wire looks kinda iffy. LOL

Glad you found the issue!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts