Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Will a 190 tire fit on the back of a 92 ZX-7. Wondering if it would work well and if it would fit. I'd like the chunkier/beefier look and a bit more grip! The bike is all done with full Muzzy and 2mm overbore kit...etc.

Please and thanks,

RJS

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have one on my 90 ZX7. I am in need of new tires and everyone keeps telling me to stick with the stock sizes (170).

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
it will "fit"...but the 190 size tires are really built/shaped for a 6" rim....the 95 and older zx7's have a 5.5". it will impact the turning feel of the bike.

5" rim a 170 is in general the optimum width.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Chunkier and beefier look yes! more grip? practically none extra in a straight line.....and even less when leaning....only real extra grip is the placebo effect confidence it will give you....

170 for 5 inch rims,
180 for 5.5,
and 190 for 6,

thats the best there is and nobody should think of going larger for performance reasons....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Why not go with 6" inch wheel from 96+

With about $10 of machining you can have the larger wheel and the 190 tire. Remove the lower brake brace and kit out the rear brake mount and you can go with (OMG!) a 200 and still have adequate clearance......
There is nothing a good machinist can't help you with.

Gee then there is the old upgraded swingarm question....that is another story for another day.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm probably a little late, but i have a 92 zx7r and it'll fit a 190 just fine. you loose a little handling, (meaning you have to work harder to lay it over for cornering) but it feels and rides great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.