Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finished bringing back to life a 1992 zx11 with only 6k miles that has sat in a garage for the last 8 years. Last step was new tires. Took the rear off without really paying attention since I've removed tires plenty of times on my Hondas. Well, this is a little different and I need some help.
First, am I missing am parts related to the axle?
Second - that sleeve thing (just right of sprocket) the diagrams I look at make it look like it should be install behind the sprocket.
Any help before I pay the the Clymer manual would be appreciated.
I almost wondering if there is a spacer collar that rolled away when I pull the rear off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Finfrock, It looks to me like the outer spacer from the sprocket side is sitting on the inner sleeve that is installed inboard of the sprocket (behind the hub). See if those are stuck together with grease or some other non-permanent connections.

Otherwise it looks like you have all of the parts that come loose during a typical tire change. BTW you may already know this but remove the rear brake caliper from its mounting bracket when trying to re-install the wheel - it's a lot easier. I only did 6 rear tire changes before figuring that out.

Don't buy the Clymers just for the diagrams. You can see them at a number of sites including bike bandit.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finfrock, It looks to me like the outer spacer from the sprocket side is sitting on the inner sleeve that is installed inboard of the sprocket (behind the hub). See if those are stuck together with grease or some other non-permanent connections.

Good luck.
That was the problem! The outer spacer and inner sleeve were stuck together really good. I did try to initially pull that apart, but it didn't budge so I thought it was one part, but after your tip I really put some effort into it and that did it!!
Got the tire in place. I just need one more hour tomorrow to align the chain with the appropriate slack and torque everything down then go break those new Pirelli Angel ST tires in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
aaaaah - 3 months after this restore project started, I finally took her out for her first ride after sitting idle and in pieces for 8 1/2 years. It took 19 years, but the odometer finally flipped over 6500 miles tonight.
I had a '97 Honda CBR1100xx for 13 years before this Ninja. Gotta say I lilke the feel of the Ninja over the Blackbird.

Last task is a coat of wax then ride the hell out of it the rest of the year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts