Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, my first post so any help is a great start. I used to have a brand new 92 zx7 with everything that vance and hines made. I freekin loved that bike. had it for 6 months before it got stolen, made out on the ins. settlement and said I had enough close calls and went back to motocross. now at 32 im at it again with a 93 zx7 full muzzy ext. and stock gearing. bike only has 9000 miles on it. guy i bought it from lives in my town and had the carbs boiled out in summer 05(I bought it in march06). but it sputters/ misses a little between 3500 and 5000 rpm's. I read somewhere that dyno jet jet kits are garbage? is this true? i think my bike is jetted but maby the bike has a dyno jet kit, or the jets are so old i should change them anyway? also someone who might know what they are talking about said the carbs need to be synced. where do i get a meter for syncing carbs? what do u guys think, the guy i bought it from said when he got it at 6000 miles it always did that sputter thing, thats why i think it might be jetting. bike is great when u just crack it to redline. just stinks hearing that and having hesitation at crusing through town rpm's. also what gearing suggestions do u guys have? thanks for any and all help. john

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
the dynojet kit is garbage. if you do end up getting a jet kit, go with either the Ivans or the Factory Pro kit, both are a thousand times better than the dynojet kit.

before you look into re-jetting it. i do reccomend getting the carbs synched and make sure they're tuned half assed properly. i am no carb wiz, so i take the bike in to get them synched.. any good shop can do it fairly quickly. having happy carbs is the first step towards having a happy 7. most 7's with a full exhaust do have a little sputter around 4000rpm

right now i'm running -1/+2 gearong on my P4 and its a little high for the street but not bad. you could drop a tooth in the front and still be able to ride normally with no trouble.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I dont know what you want to do with the bike. I just did -3/+0 and mine will stand up without the clutch. It killed my top end. Brought it down to about 125 or maybe a little higher. I did 125 so that is why i say that number. But none of us need to be going that fast anyway cause there is no good place to do it in the city. Also how much did you pay for your ZX7?

·
Registered
51 Posts
My wife used to have the same problem with her zx 7 (same year as yours) Brought it to my buddy he said the problem was a broken needle in one of the carbs quick fix I don't remember how much it cost (tune up and all it was like 180 at the shop)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, that gives me a good start. might take a look at it tomm. thanks. and I paid $2700 for it with 9000 miles, and picked it up 2 miles from my house with his plate. so it being convenent was part of it. john

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Shim the needles .040", move the 180 main jets from the center carbs to the outer, put 190's in the middle, set the pilot screw at 2 1/2 turns.

I'd go +2 rear....if you go to the track go -1 in front as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.