Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, new to the site and new to kawasaki's, I have a 1994 zx6 that I picked up for cheap and my second gear is shot. I pulled the engine and split the case but the gears aren't trashed and there's no metal anywhere in the case. So after a little reading I think I'm down to a couple of possibilities, but I'd love to hear what you guys think, or if you have other ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

1. Bent shift forks: I'm thinking that this is probably my problem. When I would try to shift the bike into second gear there was just a bunch of grinding and nasty noises. (Which is why I assumed the gears where trashed) it did make it into gear for a couple seconds (I think). My concern with this is that if it where bent shift forks wouldn't it just not shift into any gears? Is there any equipment I can use to test if they're bent?

2. Don't remember exactly what it's called, but the undercut on the gears. On most gears I can see how they are angled inward but on one of them it looks almost straight. But My thinking is that if that's what was wrong the bike would still go into second gear but then pop back out.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1355903951.729505.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1355903964.554541.jpg

Edit: extra info, I got it cheap because the last guy laid it over on the left side of the bike. One more reason why I figure shift forks

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
2nd gear ALWAYS goes on those things. i know. i own two of em and have swapped out many a second gear on other ones.
replace the gear as well as the fork. you can measure the fork for straightness and thickness. if it's good, its good.. most times the teeth chip or the dogs get worn on 2nd.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2nd gear ALWAYS goes on those things. i know. i own two of em and have swapped out many a second gear on other ones.
replace the gear as well as the fork. you can measure the fork for straightness and thickness. if it's good, its good.. most times the teeth chip or the dogs get worn on 2nd.
Thanks for the reply! I think the actual gear looks ok but it probably isn't worth messing with ill just swap it too. Is there a tool to check for straightness? I'm thinking like you said either the forks or dog tracks...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
usually any good straight edge will give ya a rough feel on the fork straightness. normally the best way to check is with it in the fork groove on the gear and using feeler gauges. you can usually eyeball those because when they bend, it's always a noticeable amount.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the new transmission installed. Looks good, came out of a 99 so I shouldn't have anymore second gear issues. Also started building some handle bar risers and an iPhone mount to use my phone as a GPS:) ImageUploadedByMO Free1359688089.984400.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1359688115.434958.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1359688132.724286.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
It's usually the dogs that wear, and the amount of wear required to slip out of gear can be so little you won't notice it with the naked eye.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya that's what I've been reading lately, I found a bike that was totaled (right side so no shifter damage) and I got the transmission, dog tracks, and shift fork. Hopefully it all works out but we'll see

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Been making an iPhone bracket for my bike, cut it out on the CNC plasma if anyone wants the dxf files to cut one out without having to mess around with measuring everything I'd be happy to upload them.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quick update, got the bike back together. Ended up using a 98 zx6e transmission (supposed to not have the second gear problems). Everything fit right and it shifts great now. I also picked up a new chain and sprocket set. ImageUploadedByMO Free1363046859.811934.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a quick update, got the bike back together. Ended up using a 98 zx6e transmission (supposed to not have the second gear problems). Everything fit right and it shifts great now. I also picked up a new chain and sprocket set. View attachment 59057

I work on all my own bikes and cars. 2nd has been messed up in my 94 zx6 since I bought it, I just skip over it. I’ve always wanted to fix it, how much time and money (approx.) did you put into this? Had you ever cracked a case before this? Did you just use a clymer manual to disassemble and put back together? I love this bike, really wish it would run right

1 - 13 of 13 Posts