Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the back of owning a 95 zx6r which runs fantastic and do track days on it I bought a 94 zx9r with 19k on the clock.
Replaced the plugs and cleaned the carbs got it running ok but didn't feel much quicker than the 600 to say it has 34 more horses.
Found out it is a Canadian model and the mixture screws have been blocked of so you can't adjust it.
Any ideas how to tune it up, as it is it does run well just not what I expected.
Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You mean the idle mixture screws? Those are always blocked from the factory, not just CA models. You can remove those blocking plugs by getting a small sheet metal screw, drilling a hole very carefully into the plug, screwing in the sheet metal screw a very small amount, and using that screw to pull out the plug.

DON’T drill too far in!!! - you don’t want to hit the mixture screw inside.

If you’re unsure of this operation, don’t start till you get help . . . . it’s not difficult to do but you need to avoid damage.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As far as general tuning of the bike, I’m not really a tuner, but if you want to get it back to good stock condition it’s pretty straight forward. Carb cleaning, compression check, valve adjustment, all deferred maintenance . . . . good luck, it’s a great bike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John I knew about the carbs just wondered if they were tuned lean for omissions for Canadian market.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts