Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just bought a 97 6r bout a month ago with super low miles. The previous owner never made any adjustments to the factory suspension settings. The bike felt a little soft to me so i cranked the front and rear down according to an old magazine articles "recomended suspension settings." Now the rear feels much better but the front is almost too hard to live with. Trying to throttle wheelie now is tough because there is almost no spring to the front forks. I'm starting to believe these setting recomedations are more geared for a 10/10ths riding pace and not for realistic street use. I ride reasonably hard but feel those last 2/10ths should be done on the track. I've since loosened the rebound dampning but haven't been back out to see how much difference it made. If anyone on a 95-97 has a nice setup for a 172 pound rider let me know, i'de appreciate it.

BWARE

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The rag's recommended preload settings are of little use if your weight differs from their rider's, which is often omitted. You should properly set the sag for your weight.

If you would like to upgrade your suspension, I have a Penske 8981 shock off my 1997 ZX-6R for sale. It will bolt right onto the 1995 to 1997 bike. Email me at [email protected].

·
Registered
242 Posts
swjohnsey, do you have the settings for the 95? SportRider doesn't seem to have them posted anymore, and I was gonna spend my day off tomorrow getting the damn things dialed in...

------

The only thing that a Gixxer hurts is my soul!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This was for a '97 but it ought to be close. Except for the pre-load this is what I am using and it feels pretty good: Front rebound - two clicks out; Front compression - three turns out; Rear rebound - full stiff (#4 I think); rear compression - four turns out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.