Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found someone selling a big bore kit for my 95 Zx6r for $450. I'm trying to do some research on it but there isn't any info out there. If you have one of these kits on your bike, can you share some information with me.

Kit includes: (4) Pistons, Ring Sets, Piston Pins, Retainer Clips, and (1) Spring Steel Head Gasket
617cc
2.638" or 67.00mm
1mm oversize
Stroke - 43.74 R613 11.8:1 Cylinder boring only
Piston: 4583M06700 Rings: 2638XA Piston Pins: S554
Retainer Clips: CW16 Spring Steel Head Gasket: W5476
Optional: Base Gasket: W6050

Those of you with big bore kits on your bikes, are they worth it? What kind of improvements would I be looking at performance wise? Any problems from big bore kits? Give me yout impressions and any other valuable info.
:)

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
While its a good price for the kit relative to full price, you have another $200 in boring and honing to do....and a base gasket.

So...total price of ~$700. it will boost midrange a noticable/usable amount and add a little to the peak....more likely the top end will be broader.

I liked my 2mm overbore zx7, but I did the job for about $400 because of some connections I had at the time and I used OEM pistons from a zx9. I'm not aware of an OEM oversize piston option for your bike.

I'd put the $700 toward a newer/bigger bike if you want more power.

·
Banned
1,137 Posts
So I found someone selling a big bore kit for my 95 Zx6r for $450. I'm trying to do some research on it but there isn't any info out there. If you have one of these kits on your bike, can you share some information with me.

Kit includes: (4) Pistons, Ring Sets, Piston Pins, Retainer Clips, and (1) Spring Steel Head Gasket
617cc
2.638" or 67.00mm
1mm oversize
Stroke - 43.74 R613 11.8:1 Cylinder boring only
Piston: 4583M06700 Rings: 2638XA Piston Pins: S554
Retainer Clips: CW16 Spring Steel Head Gasket: W5476
Optional: Base Gasket: W6050

Those of you with big bore kits on your bikes, are they worth it? What kind of improvements would I be looking at performance wise? Any problems from big bore kits? Give me yout impressions and any other valuable info.
:)
Jason, do you think cylinders & pistons from an 03 636 will fit? It's basically he same bottom end.

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
That kit is a waste of your time. You are better off getting a set of Wiseco's and punching the cylinders out to 637cc. The wiscos are forged and bump your compression ratio to 13.0:1.
If you really get carried away, you can get the head ported/polished and you stand to make some good power. In conjunction with a K+N filter and a good high flow exhaust, you can make more power than a factory supersport bike of the same year.
It all comes down to cost versus demand. When you get into building internals it can get expensive if you a)aren't doing the work yourself, B) If you don't have any hook-ups for machining

The wiseco kit is about $650.00 but you can buy just the pistons and rings for less. I would just run a stock head gasket as they are also spring steel.

Disregard the fact that there isn't one listed for 95-99, the kit for the ZX6-RR and the ZZR is compatible.

If are just looking to make raw power, do what I did.

VVV

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
well....if you can believe the Wiseco chart...that would mean you can use stock pistons from a 636 in a 95-97 as well .... bitchin'

you see sets of 636 pistons/rings/rods on ebay all the time for $100. now you can build a 636 for $350 or so. Thats almost worth while.

But on your original question...617 kit and the $700 cost...no, I wouldn't.

You don't need forged pistons unless you are on the bottle, or boosted. And 13:1 compression won't give much power over 12:1....a thinner head gasket can give you that anyway.

That said....$500 on head work by someone who knows what they are doing can really pay off.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
the 95-99 pistons DO NOT have a raised dome.....so the newer versions won't work...UNLESS you get a 00-02 head, then you are in business...matching cams and now you're on your way!!!......

How deep is your pocket?

How crafty are you??

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
the 95-99 pistons DO NOT have a raised dome.....so the newer versions won't work...UNLESS you get a 00-02 head, then you are in business...matching cams and now you're on your way!!!......

How deep is your pocket?

How crafty are you??
Ummm...yes the F, G, and H models have wedged (raised) domes. And yes the newer sets work, I've speced them out with Wiseco myself.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
Ummm...yes the F, G, and H models have wedged (raised) domes. And yes the newer sets work, I've speced them out with Wiseco myself.
yes the pistons will work, BUT you need to redesign the 95-99 combustion chamber so the raised section has a place to go.....or swap to the 00-02 head

the 03-06 have an oval cam chaing tunnel and a different engine mount setup...so they don't work eithet.........

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
hmm...all good info to squirrel away...

in todays ebay world, cams and heads are cheap. but again, another $200 at least.....soooo...back to the $600+ price range.

I still vote skip it...

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Yeah its doable, i did it, and am doing it again, but my 617 motor i am building cost me less then $100, i got pistons for a steal, rod bolts for $25, and the other parts also as a steal. I did the machining myself, and the headwork myself and i have forged pistons. If you dig around and have the resources you can have a sweet motor for next to nothing, you just need to know what works, and to find that out its expensive jason and i have found this one out, but hey i don't know about him, but for me, who cares? Boys and their toys is all i can say...
Ben

·
Registered
22 Posts
ttr50rider12, hi guy. If I use my 98 or 99 bottom end do I have to swap out my rods out just the cylinder head and pistons etc. I have the time and im fairly handy. Money isnt the issue i just like tinkering lol. I'd really appreciate every bit of info to do it myself. Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts