1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i bought a 13 front and a 41 and 42 tooth rear

1 which rear sprocket should i put on ?

2 how far off will my speedo be ?

3 how much will this take off my top end?

4 what chain should i run i was told 110 link 520 chain is this right and what brand should i use.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I have a '95 ZX-6R and I have a standard (but 520 width) front sprocket with a 43 tooth rear sprocket and a 520 chain. I don't know how many links it is.
My bike now hits redline in 6th at about 240kmh or 150mph, according to the speedo. The speedo will not be out any more than before 'cause it's driven by the front wheel.
My bike has "lost" about 20kmh/12mph off the top end so if you put the 13t front sprocket and the 42t rear on you would probably lose about 20mph/32kmh or so off the top end, roughly.
My bike now does about 5,800 rpm at 110kmh/69mph.
One tooth off the front sprocket is about equal to +3 on the back. I really like the way mine accelerates now and I don't do really high speed runs much anymore so I don't miss the top end.
A friend had a '96 ZX-6R and he put a 45t sprocket on the rear. I think he liked the way it went but it was a bit too low geared for him.
I'd say use the 41t sprocket first, I think you'll like it. As far as the 520 chain goes, you have to make sure that your sprockets are for a 520 chain as well, if they're for a 525, the 520 chain won't fit on them, it will be too narrow. Choose a brand you're happy with. Some good ones are: R.K., Regina, Tsubaki. Remember they have both cheap and expensive chains in their ranges too, something mid-range should be good enough.
The main reason for using a 520 chain is just that they weigh less, but it's rotating mass, so it makes more of a difference.
Enjoy.:)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
A 13t front sprocket will rub the plastic swingarm guard and stress the chain as it bends around the small sprocket. You can get nearly the same final drive ratio with a 14t front sprocket and a 44t or 45t rear sprocket, or a stock front sprocket and a 47t or 48t rear sprocket. That is quite the change, and most riders will not like it on the road.

Why do you want to change the gearing? What kind of riding do yo like to do?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i was going to get the 14 toth but they were out the only reason i got the sprokets is that the rear wear 3$ each so i could not pass them up i still might go back and get the 14 tooth as far as riding i just ride for fun i do a little of everything i realy wanna be able to do wheelies other than in first gear though . i never go above a buck 30 so i was not to worrid about hte top end.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I had the same bike, and it would come up in second gear with a 14t front sprocket or a 43t rear sprocket. And I cannot wheelie to save my life.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
They wheelie nicely in 2nd gear with a 15t front and 45t rear. Btw, have you tried moving your body back when you accelerate? I've seen 6'1" 300lb guys wheelie CBR600F2's in first at about 10-15mph just off the throttle by using their body weight.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i can
wheelie all day long in first it is second and maybe third i want to get it up in !!!!!!!!!!!

ha ha i said get it up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.