Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:Does anyone know or tried to mount a front fork set up from a 1995 zx7r to a 1995 zx6r? I was looking at one on my block and it seems like it would fit. The parts cheap on ebay and maybe worth a try! The inverted forks would be a better ride for the 6r. Will be purchasing the parts and will post my progress.:D

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
I would think it would be alot more trouble than its worth. Besides those old Seven suspenders are HEAVY.

I still don't understand where the obsession that people have that inverted forks are somehow "better" than conventional forks.

I would rather spend my money on professional springs and valves rather than swapping out for something else with questionable internals just cause it looks cool.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oooh somebody got off the wrong side of the bike this morning!lol It was just a question if they would fit, and yes intverted are better! you see any new bikes without them! I quess opinions are like a**holes every bodies got one!

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
oooh somebody got off the wrong side of the bike this morning!lol It was just a question if they would fit, and yes intverted are better! you see any new bikes without them! I quess opinions are like a**holes every bodies got one!
I really doubt they will fit without a shit ton of modification. Get your sawzall handy.

Please provide this body of evidence that inverted forks are "better". And not just a bunch of opinionated nonsense. All the new bikes have them because no-one would buy a modern supersport bike without them. Both Honda and yamaha didn't seem to have any problems with conventional forks on their supersport bikes well after Kawi introduced inverted forks on their supersport and then Zuki the following year.

The collective consciousness of the sport bike buying market came to believe that conventional forks were somehow inferior and any company that was a holdout would be commiting marketing suicide.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whatever!your just one of those dicks who dont like it when other people think outside of the box, keep conforming yourself with your little mind!
oh yeah why dont you shove that ak47 up your ass and do us all a favor!:eek:
jerk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
whatever!your just one of those dicks who dont like it when other people think outside of the box, keep conforming yourself with your little mind!
oh yeah why dont you shove that ak47 up your ass and do us all a favor!:eek:
jerk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Look dude, i really don't care if you want to cobble some pile of shit together and try to make it workable. If you got the time and money to burn, have at it.

95 ZX7R has 52mm diameter forks at the top clamp. So your going to need the triple clamps. Steering head diameter is god knows what, but is probably going to be quite a bit bigger than the 6R. So you will need to get some custom shit made up with the 6R steering stem to mate to the 7R triple clamps if its even long enough to work. If not more custom shit to have a new steering stem turned in a lathe or however they make that shit. OR possibly have some custom bearings made up if theres enough room in the steering head to use the 7R stem.

Next is the problem of the length of the forks, if they are to short or to long your rake is going to go out the window. Also since the fork spacing will probably decrease on the Six and finding a wheel that fits without modification could be tricky... and on and on.

If you really want to try and put inverted forks on you would probably be better off using 03+ 6R forks since the source is a much closer approximation to what you already have.

Don't forget your inverted rear shock/swing arm while you're at it. I hear its moar bettah and all teh nu bikez haz dem.

Reactions: jbreit

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Wow....feel the love...

Most likely the steerming stem will go right in, but the length may be off so you may need to swap the stem in the triple...but there's a possibility the stem is welded in on the lower triple of your bike....I can't remember.

Kawi uses the same size steering stem bearings on most everything since the early 90's. Though they vary between ball and taper types, the ID, OD, Height is the same on most all ZX family bikes.

Likely the steering stops will be different.
The key/lock may or may not work and so on.
You'll need the WHOLE front end...the wheel, rotors, clip ons, calipers, master etc.

I believe the 95 ZX6R had cartridge style forks....in which case there is no inherent advantage in the zx7r suspension....and yes, they weight a ton. Generally speaking, I agree with Wildcard. I swapped the forks off of my zx7r cause they weigh so much....the zx10r front end I put on saved 8 pounds.

If I had a 95-97 zx6r and wanted to upgrade, the 98-02 zx6r/ZZR forks would be my choice....the valving is fairly good stock, they are larger tubes and hence stiffer than the F vintage. You get a larger front axle, 6 piston brakes and so on. But, the 95-97 zx6r was a formidable bike in its own right...upgrading springs and valving would make them work very well.

But if you want to swap on zx7r stuff just to do it for fun...have at it.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Yeah definitely not worth the trouble, and this coming from the guy who swaps about anything to his bike (me). Also remember, if you swap the newer 6R/10R stuff, you can have much better brakes with radial calipers, and lighter wheels as well. The stem on your bike will press out, and the swap for you should be about the same as the 98-02 ZX6R in terms of work involved in the swap.

Ben

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well thanks for all the feedback, except from mr. ak47, salty b#tch:mad:. but i will be doing at bit more looking into the swap or upgrade the springs and valves. oh yeah mr ak47 i fit the inverted rear shock with little modifcation cuz im good like that :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts