Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here is.. I looked at one today and most likely tomorrow I am buying it.

1996 ZX6R
-green and white...MINT
-36000KM (22000 Miles)
-Stock
-New tires with 3K on them.
-Manual for the bike
-Swing arm stand
He wants 2700CDN firm (2400 USD since you money is no longer worth much)

Seems to run good. He started it up and it was 45*F today and it started right up.
Question. I am more into cars....He started the bike right up..and it idled for about 2min and the reved up for a bit. I am gonna say bc it was warming up. Is this normal for sport bikes in cooler weather?

Anyways I will most likley pic it up tomorrow since it is hard to find a sport bike around here for under 4500 bucks.

Seem like an Okay deal?

Thanks Jay

·
Registered
471 Posts
Did you check to see if the bike was warm before he started it for you? Most bikes in the cold need the choke on before it will start and stay on and then it goes to 4k rpm and gradually goes down as the bike warms up. Your 96 will have a choke on the left side that slides forward and back and that controls the choke. Let me know if you have any other questions...Oh and 2400 isnt that bad of a deal, mine is holding up just fine with 46k miles on it :)

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
My 98 if you put the choke on, it revs at about 2k rpms for about a min, then it gets up to 5k until you turn it off, sounds like a high idle on choke but got to remember it starts to red line at like 14.5k or 15k rpms or so (well my 98 does...)
Ben

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
It sounds pretty normal to me. My '95 ZX-6R did pretty much the same thing. Don't worry about the mileage either - I did 200,000km on mine with all the original bits in the engine.

The '95-'97 models are huge fun to ride.

Just buy it. You won't regret it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.