Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on may 1st this year i was run off the road by some jackass in a car and my bike went into a cement poll at around 50-60 km/h. anyways the bike was pretty mangled but i came out relatively unharmed. over the past couple months i have been hunting for parts to rebuild it since my insurance company wouldnt pay out (aparently i should have written down the guys licence plate as i was hurtling towards the cement poll) anyways i hit gold when somone locally was selling the majority of a 96 zx6r all together. he was trying to clean out his shop so he gave me about 5 boxes of parts (pretty much everything except a frame, engine, and front upper fairing) all for $400 canadian. I just picked up a clean frame off ebay from kentucky for $450 usd plus $220 for shipping. the frame has just arrived.

Now all im searching for is a front upper fairing, mirrors, and possibily one or two other pieces that i didnt realize i needed to replace yet.

anyways my budy has started painting my new fairings with chameleon paint (changes from green to purple to bronze to blue) and he has already painted my swingarm black and my forks black. tomoro he is paintingthe frame black as well. im debating if i should use the rear polished rim that i got as an extra and also polish the front, or if i should just keep both rims black.

here are some b4 and after pics of the bike. i will post more pics of the rebuild as i progress. i might need some advice here and there b/c i havent done a rebuild b4 but between you guys and local biker budies hopefully i can get this thing back on the road for the last couple months of good wheather up in toronto.

b4:

after:

[/img]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Haha VERY lucky i low sided on some gravel and hit a street sign at 35 and ended up with broken right arm, lacerated liver, a collapsed lung, a hole in my left shoulder big enough to stick two fingers in and road rash all over

(I was heavily medicated...haha)

Im impressed your rebuilding though, instead of just selling parts and buying new.

cbrown1311

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow that looks friggin painful but ye i did come out of the accident pretty much untouched and i was very lucky. exactly one week after my accident another biker on a cbr600r totaled his bike and was taken to hospital with head injuries. exactly one month after my accident in the exact same spot a guy on a r6 totalled his bike and died. this road is very notorious for car and motorcycle accidents but i came out really lucky relatively i guess. anyways the rebuild is going good. i should be getting my frame this thursday. ive already gotten the swingarm and forks painted black and ive started to put them back together.

does anyone have any tips on what order to put the bike back together? i was thinking basically do the opposite order that i took it apart in so, engine into frame, rear suspension/swing arm and wheel, front end suspension and wheel, headers/pipe, radiator and oil cooler,( i might have to do the headers and radiator b4 i do the front end im not sure?), run the electrical, air box, the rear undertray, and then plastics. does that sound about right? any advice will be apreciated.

by the way alot of ppl told me i was wasting my time and money rebuilding this bike b/c of its year and stuff but i didnt get an insurance pay out, im a student paying my own tuition, and i needed transportation so i bought a car and had to pay insurance on it so basically i dont have all the money in the world to go and buy another bike. And through lots of searching, bargaining, and luck i was able to get all the pieces i needed to repair the bike for under $1000 which is pretty good in my opinion as a half decent used bike in canada goes for $4000 and up. anyways as soon as i get the frame my friend is painting it black for me and then i will start re-asembley. at which point i will post more pics of my progress.

also i have an all black rear rim, and i have a spare rear rim that is polished with black spokes, but the only front rim i have is all black. the paint scheme on my new bike is going to be black swing arm, frame and forks with chameleon paint for the plastics. should i put the polished rear rim on with the black front? should i keep both wheels black? or should i put in the effort to polish the front rim and have both rims polished? let me know what you think would look best

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
got my frame from customs today, my friend is painting it up. hopefully ill have it back tomoro so i can start re-asembly. im hopeing to have the bike ready for fluids by this coming monday.

·
Registered
451 Posts
What gear were you wearing?

Glad to hear you're ok, you look pretty beat up. Sounds like all is going as planned with the bike.

Be careful out there, man.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that pic isnt of me thats someone else who posted. as i said i came out pretty much without a scratch just some brusing. i was wearing teknique armor leather jacket, teknique gloves, and hjc helmet, and jeans.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Oh, I knew that. I guess I should've read the whole post..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
got a shit load of work done today. i have the bike pretty much completely assemble minus the following; exhaust/headers(need to be welded), chain (waiting for a master link to arive at shop), radiator (friend sodering fan wire back), rear undertray, passenger foot pegs, air box, and gas tank. ill post some progress pics tomoro.

im having an issue getting the choke cable end into the mechanism conected to the engine properly.

also i set up the shifter but for some reason it only seems to shift between first and neutral but no hire or lower? any insight into that?

oh and im still trying hard to find a front upper fairing, if you have a spare please let me know ill pay asap for one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Originally posted by Gumba

also i set up the shifter but for some reason it only seems to shift between first and neutral but no hire or lower? any insight into that?
just a quick question...are you riding it or is in just sitting there. it won't go into 2nd if standing still, positive nuetral system.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
finally got it all back together minus a fairing or two here are some pics of me fixing it up a month or so ago. ill get some more pics of it as it is now street fighter style.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Gumba i PMed you about some plastics i have for sale, let me know if interested.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.