Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
are you talkin R6? no way, sorry. Unless your runnin nitrous just pretend you have a shoelace untied or something.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by dtmsurf
are you talkin R6? no way, sorry. Unless your runnin nitrous just pretend you have a shoelace untied or something.
Not R6. I'm talking, YZF 600

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
i think it would drop you, but yea a 96 might have more top end. why? thinking of getting one? they look pretty sweet imo and i don't like naked bikes......only chicks!:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by NinjaRider
YZF600 only tops out at 140. They're probably pretty close, but I think you'd take him eventually.
Really? I thought I'd SMOKE him!

They only are rated at like 75 horses

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by spartan 116
i think it would drop you, but yea a 96 might have more top end. why? thinking of getting one? they look pretty sweet imo and i don't like naked bikes......only chicks!:D
Drop me? Really?

Not an R6 I'm talking about the Yzf like this

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
yea, a 2004, i know, they took a R6 engine and tuned it down a bit. btw, that's not a 04.
and since you're so set in your opinion why did you ask us?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm talkin about an 03.

I'm not "so set" I just thought the zx6-r would Slaughter the YZF.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1997 to 2003 YZF600s have about 87 to 89 HP at the rear wheel. They have more HP than an R6 at low RPMs, but much less at high RPMs.

·
Registered
493 Posts
actually spartan116 is talking about the yzf 6 thats the naked version which has an almsot identicall(slightly detuned) r6 engine. the bike lok is refering to is a 75 hp carb'd version of the ol r6 motor, you probably smash pretty hard on one.
but theres only one way to find out...

0 r6 engine.:D:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
The new Naked model with the detuned R6 motor is called the FZ6 (in USA). 2004 is it's first year in the U.S. The YZF600 (now called the YZF600R) is virtually unchanged since 1997 and is still available as a 2004 model– Probably it's last year. The current R6 will beat both of them in HP. I haved owned an '02 YZF600R and a '98 ZX6R. Riders being equal, the ZX6R is faster.... but, how often are the riders equal??? I say, race away! But, do it in a safe place with the proper gear.:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all.

What's funny is two years ago I bought a new 02 YZF600. I had sold my 98 zx6-r when I tore ligaments in my wrist. After recovering I got the itch and I bought the VZF thinking it would be a better all around bike, more comfy. I also kinda missed the ninja though. So anyway, my wrists were still jacked so I traded it in on a Roadstar. Now I went out and bought a 96 zx6-r and have the Roadie too. My buddy went out and bought a 03 Yzf 600.

Looking back I always felt that the 98 ninja was a lot faster than my 02 YZF. I guess we will find out one day. Also, he has been riding like 2 years. I've been riding for over 20. :D

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
The R6 replaced the YZF600R in the 600 supersport wars, but Yamaha continued to produce the YZF600R until 2003 as a more entry-level bike. To the original question, I had a '96 6R that I raced against an older YZF600R a few times with no problems. Given that Yamaha really didn't change the bike, that the Kawasaki puts out more power and weighs a good chunk less and has more aggressive gearing... you should win if you are fairly equal riding skill.

Check out Sportrider.com for weight and tested figures compared. The '97 ZX6R (near twin of the '96) was tested at 96hp, 47.3ft-lbs, and 423 pounds. The '98 YZF600R was tested at 89.5hp, 45.9ft-lbs, and 456 pounds. Close enough that a good rider on the Yamaha would beat a poor rider on the 6R, but otherwise, you have the edge in equipment.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by dj dunzie
The R6 replaced the YZF600R in the 600 supersport wars, but Yamaha continued to produce the YZF600R until 2003 as a more entry-level bike. To the original question, I had a '96 6R that I raced against an older YZF600R a few times with no problems. Given that Yamaha really didn't change the bike, that the Kawasaki puts out more power and weighs a good chunk less and has more aggressive gearing... you should win if you are fairly equal riding skill.

Check out Sportrider.com for weight and tested figures compared. The '97 ZX6R (near twin of the '96) was tested at 96hp, 47.3ft-lbs, and 423 pounds. The '98 YZF600R was tested at 89.5hp, 45.9ft-lbs, and 456 pounds. Close enough that a good rider on the Yamaha would beat a poor rider on the 6R, but otherwise, you have the edge in equipment.
Thanks, seems the bikes are closer than I thought.

·
Registered
386 Posts
IMO-Too close to call but my question is - Why even ask? Sounds pretty much like a question a newb would ask, not a veterean rider of 20 years.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by YoungLion
IMO-Too close to call but my question is - Why even ask? Sounds pretty much like a question a newb would ask, not a veterean rider of 20 years.
:D:D Why ask? I dont know man.. just curious. I guess it does sound like a newb question..:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.