Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

96' zx7r not starting!! Help

679 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  WildCard 
#1 ·
Need info on what could be wrong with my zx7..a couple of months ago the provlem started when i lost my coolant reservoir doing 80+ on a backroad. That inevitably caused serious damage to the resrvoir and i couldnt use it , now having been the negligent rider i was i continued to ride the bike without it, which started another list of problems starting with the radiator. The radiator started leaking from a hose onto the exhaust which in return caused a lot of smoke to come off of the exhaust. It wasnt major until one day i was riding and i noticed that bike seemed like it was loosing power, throttle response wasnt as crisp as normal, i didnt pay any attention to it just thought it would work itself out in the higher speeds. Long story shorter after coming to a stop light the bike began to idle very roughly and a ton of coolant started leaking from the hose onto the pipes wich made it look like the bike was on fire with all the smoke...it eventually cut off on me right there didnt start back up , i tried to push start it and that didnt work so now im here.....any insight would be helpful sorry for the long post....

#2 ·
Sounds like the bike may have overheated. Compression check and leakdown test would be where I would start to verify that the engine isn't completely toast.

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice that will be the first thing i get done. Not able to do it now, dont have the coin for it. Is there anymore tips you can give me anything i can do myself to make sure its good to go when i take it......even if the engine is damaged from the overheating can't i just do an engine rebuild on whatever needs to be fixed??

#4 ·
Remove the fuel tank and get the airbox out of the way so the shop doesn't have to do it would save you some labor time/cost. No way to know if the engine can be saved by a rebuild at this point or not. If it overheated bad it may have warped the head or caused other damage. At that point it would probably be cheaper to get another used engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.