Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this is my second post, I still havent taken delivery of the used 97 ZX6R that I put a deposit on yesterday, but Im already itching to get on the bike, and so Ive been up all night doing research on the bike.

I found a review on the bike on motorcycles.com when it was rated against 4 other 97 600's
The article was located at http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompare/top600s.html

The article refers to "vague feedback offered by the 6R's front end, a problem that is compounded by the low-profile stock Bridgestone tire that gives poor traction at full lean. The cumulative result is a front end that "pushes" and "tucks" in corners. Having a poor connection with the front destroys confidence, which in turn slows lap times and canyon cornering speeds. How bad is the feedback from the 6R's front forks? "I knew that the front was there," quipped Graves after his first track session on the 6R, "because at the end of the straight you pop up and hit the brakes, and something slows you down." Higbee also found the ZX-6R's front lacking: "Even at a moderate street pace I had trouble keeping the front tire from sliding out under me, which isn't my idea of fun." This lack of front end feel was responsible for five of our seven testers picking the 6R last in this comparison"

Is there any way to solve the problem? The article went on to say that they put on Metzelers and that did improve things....

"but feedback and turn-in manners remained poor. This led Higbee to question the 6R's geometry: "The front end feedback told me that it was turning in too much, a sign that it needs more trail. I also noticed that the triple clamps are narrow, which might explain why the 6R refused to turn properly -- there's not a lot of leverage there."

Any advice would be appreciated! I also asked anyone to let me know what I should look for when I take delivery of the bike in a few days? (as long as the finance company says yeah) Meaning problem areas on this vintage of ZX6R, stuff that might wear out easily etc.

Thanks
Cheers
Ron

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Ok, on standard settings the front suspension on my '95 ZX-6R had too much compression damping, and too little preload for my liking and riding style. That was easily fixed with a little bit of fiddling with the adjusters.

The original front tyre on the '95-'97 ZX-6R was a 60 profile tyre, which did feel a bit weird at big lean angles. It's something you get used to though. Fitting a 70 profile tyre improves the manners greatly, but also slows the turn-in rate a bit.

That can be restored by either raising the rear ride height about 5mm at the shockie, or pulling the forks through a similar amount.

I never had a problem with the front end on mine with the 60 profile tyre, and I went through a lot of tyres. I only ever used one 70 profile tyre and, while it was good, I tended to prefer the 60 profile for some reason. Maybe because the 70 profile tyre I used was much harder than I was used to.

I never had any front-end slides with the 60 profile tyres, and even on the racetrack I never had a problem with the 60 profile front.

Having said that, a friend had a completely standard '96 ZX-6R, and the front suspension on his bike was much softer than my completely standard '95 was.

Problem areas are the front brake discs. They can warp pretty easily, and they're usually worn out by 100,000km.

The '95 ZX-6R had a weakish frame and forks, but they were fixed for the '96 and '97 models.

I think that's about it for problem areas. They're a solid bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nigel!

I will look out for those areas when I pick up the bike.
Its been ages since ive been on 2 wheels so I think that It will be a while before I start pushing it thru the corners to notice any issues with sliding.

Cheers
Ron

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Exactly.

I forgot to mention that for the last two sets of tyres, I had Metzeler Sportec M1's on my '95 ZX-6R, and I loved them. They turned in quickly, were stable when cranked over, and had good grip. They wore out a bit quickly for my liking, but I still got 10,000km or so out of a rear tyre, so they lasted pretty well really.

I assume that the Pirelli Diablos would work just as well, seeing that they are a very similar tyre.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I agree with Nigel on suspension setup. Make sure you set the proper sag too. After I set my sag (preload), adjusted the compression and rebound, I found the handling to be really solid and improved.

As far as tires go, I recently put a set of the new Dunlop Qualifiers on my 96 ZX6R. I didn't think I would notice much of a difference, but I was wrong. I seem to have alot more confidence with these tires when cornering. They definitely heat up quicker and have better grip too. You might want to consider them in addition to the tires Nigel mentioned. Michelin Pilot Powers have been a favorite of some riders too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.