Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know if the 3 bolt stock muffler setup on the "F" class of Ninja is unique to just the 97 year? Or will a newer (98 and up) fit? What about a ZX7R? Are they different as well? I am looking to upgrade from my stock can and having some difficulty finding what I want.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's a fairly standardised setup. I've seen a '96 F model ZX-6R with a standard muffler from a '98-'02 ZX-6R on it. I also think that a standard muffler from a ZX-7R or '98+ ZX-9R would fit (they both use the three bolt pattern as well).

The only real difference (as far as mounting goes) would be the position of the footpeg mount on the muffler. That's easy to alter on the ZX-7R muffler, as you can move the mounting bracket on the muffler, but the later ZX-6R and ZX-9R have the bracket welded to the muffler. The brackets might be in the right position to fit to an F model ZX-6R, but you'd need to take some measurements to be sure.

If they aren't, you could always make a muffler hanger to replace the footpeg bracket, if you don't carry passengers.

Edit: I'm so stupid some times. I've already said that I've seen a '96 ZX-6R with a muffler from a '98-'02 ZX-6R on it, so it should fit straight on, with no fiddling of mounting brackets required.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.