Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i just got this bike and i haven't had a good change to really mess with it a lot. So here's my problem, then bike will crank and crank but just wont start up. I've been told it may be the carbs aren't tuned. The batter is dead to, i've been trying to start it with jumper cables. Only way i can get it fired up is with engine starter fluid, it'll fire up and does what its think like its suppose to with starter fludid.

is it the carbs that are messed up or is it something to do with my fuel? doesn't idle or anything either, it doesn't have a fuel cut off switch either.

·
Registered
144 Posts
if it doesnt have a cutoff switch (petcock) then how is the fuel line connected to the tank? maybe the knob is just broken off or missing. it could be stuck in the off position. maybe take a picture if you arent sure

·
Registered
138 Posts
if the petcock is on make sure the fuel pump is working by disconnecting the 'out' line and see if fuel flows when you crank the bike

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
well the guy i bought it from said thers no petcock, so maybe since fuel is always running maybe its just a bogged down, ill take a picture 2moro. If so i guess ill be stripping down the carb and cleaning it up.

earlier on when i went to try to start it again with the fluid, it revved up real high and then just died, could that be another fuel problem?

oh and another thing, the carbs will prolly need to be tuned up. Im pretty new to carburetors, but i was wondering if its smart to zero it out and then go from there, or if you can even do that?

·
Registered
144 Posts
i would wait to mess with the carbs until you are sure that fuel is flowing. after that, maybe pull them apart, as long as you have a good ability to take things apart and put them back together again. as long as you can do that,you should be okay, just use common sense.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
yea theres fuel goin to it guys, i just took the carbs off and i drained a bunch of fuel from it, almost too much i think, well since i have the carb off im gonna go ahead and clean it up...ill post pics of up in just a bit about the no pet cock thing

edit: here are the pics
tank is connected directly to the fuel pump.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well now i think that its the fuel pump or something related to that, the fuel hose from the pump to the carb doesn't let out any fuel, but after a couple cranks, the fuel pump is really hot, so its trying to pump out gas i think, any thought?

·
Registered
144 Posts
try blowing through the tube, to see if its clogged. try it on the tube going into the pump also. if they arent clogged, i would try and replace the pump

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
I can see the fuel lines are getting kinked in your pics. You shouldn't run fuel line from the auto parts store. It's very rigid and when it has to bend it tends to colapse. Get some fuel line from the dealer. It's cheap.
Also, the fuel cools the pump and if the is pinched line and not enough fuel is being fed to the pump, it will burn up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea thats how the bike came, i have to set the tank in just right so that the lines don't pinch. But i checked it today and the pump works, i think....i took the line that goes to the carb off and it sprayed out some gas and then quit, is it suppose to be a steady stream because mine isn't

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
yea thats how the bike came, i have to set the tank in just right so that the lines don't pinch. But i checked it today and the pump works, i think....i took the line that goes to the carb off and it sprayed out some gas and then quit, is it suppose to be a steady stream because mine isn't
No, they are diaphram "pumper" type pumps. The stream should pulse. The pump should run for appx. four seconds then shut off. That's normal.

If the bike has been sitting for a couple months or more, it is going to need a proper carb clean.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
carb has been stripped down and cleaned. got the bike started once and now it won't any more, when it started, it just revved up really high and just died.

what all goes into a getting the bike started, i mean what do i need to adjust to get it to start? i at least want to get it started and go from there.

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
carb has been stripped down and cleaned. got the bike started once and now it won't any more, when it started, it just revved up really high and just died.

what all goes into a getting the bike started, i mean what do i need to adjust to get it to start? i at least want to get it started and go from there.
Ok, a carb clean entails cleaning all the fuel circuts e.g. low speed, transition, main jet, and enrichener. You have to make sure all the jets are ABSOLUTELY clean too. Then you need too completely close the idle screw and then tighten it (about) three and a half turns in. Once it starts you can adjust the idle from there, and you will need to do a carbs sync.

If you had a "racing" or high idle when it started check the idle adjustment and check the enrichener (choke) to make sure the cable or plungers aren't stuck.

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
well the bike is running now. but it cuts out after about 60 mph.
What do you mean by "cuts out"? Shuts off completely, boggs, of stutters and after-fires out of the pipe?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it boogs out....i know for sure that i need to get the carbs synced up....its got a really rough ass idle right now too

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
it boogs out....i know for sure that i need to get the carbs synced up....its got a really rough ass idle right now too

If it runs cold then bogs down as it gets warm, it's running pretty rich. I recommend you set everthing (idle, throttle cables, pilot mixture scews, ect.) back to stock and work from there. Check and varify jet sizes as well.

Be aware that throttle cable freeplay is critical and should be set to around 2-3 mm of play at the throttle slide.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it will run fine when its warm, just when i drive it up to about 60 it boggs down...or is that what you meant? well the idle mixture screws have not been messed with as they still have those things still pressed in there to where i can't adjust them. They i got it from said it had a dynojet stage 1 in there. Ill check the throttle cables, because i messed with those and didn't know they made that much of a difference.

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
If it is bogging at 60mph under load, than it sounds like some of your main jets are clogged. Pull them, check them, and clear them as necessary.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i was wondering if it could be a fuel pump problem, i don't think its getting enough gas. one day it will start up fine and now it won't start. all the jets have been clean.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts