Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Various members have had an issue with non starting 98-99 models....the bike rolls over fine and everything else is in spec, but there seems to be no spark.

After alot of question asking and trouble shooting with my wifes' 99 I have come to a solution.

The battery sends a 12V activation signal to the CDI(sorta like an antitheft system) from the key ignition...........After purchasing a battery tender for last winter, I noticed that the tender was on wayy more then it was off, compared to my battery on my tender. Throughout the season the same was noted when the bike was in the garage..on more then off....after unhooking the alarm system the charger would go out...I then assumed it was the main culprit......

The bike always started fine since the tender was installed and I figured that was the sum of the whole problems......untill the battery completely crapped out one day....(YusaYTX).....so we went and got a new battery and the bike has never rolled over so quick and crisp, and barely whirrls to catch and start......sooooooo

If you have an issue with starting and the bike seems to turn over quick enough the battery might not be sending the 12V signal to the CDI ..........attach a volt meter to the battery and as you start it see how low the voltage drops in the battery....if it takes a large drop then start with a fresh battery and see if the problem persists.

That was ALWAYS the first thing Kawasaki would ask when trouble shooting a problematic bike.

hope this helps someone somethime

J

·
Registered
604 Posts
That makes sense. I think rule of thumb is a min. of 9v while cranking for electronics to work. Some electronics are higher. This is a great reminder to check the basics!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts