Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a rumor that the ZX6R frame, especially the 98-99 models, is very weak and tend to develop cracks compared to other 600 in its class.

Did anyone hear about that or had any frame related problems?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
i dunno...maybe it's just the way the new frames have advanced but..when i wiped out my front wheel hit a post (not that fast) and the neck of my frame bent. however i'm not sure if it was because the frame is weak or if it was because my bike had possibly crashed before and that had already weakened it. it was only a lowside so i wasn't expecting the frame to bend. but i don't have any solid input..oops..only personal experience

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
The only model ZX-6R I know of that has anything like a reputation for weak frames is the '95 model. I know this because I've seen a few with cracked frames, including mine. Not all of the '95 models have developed cracks yet though, which may suggest that not all of them will. Of course it could be that the ones that haven't cracked yet haven't been subjected to the stresses necessary to cause them to fail.

Apart from that, frames are designed to take forces and loads in specific directions, as long as the forces act in those directions, the frame is very strong but if they have a force act on them in a direction they weren't designed for, they can bend or break relatively easily.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The only model ZX-6R I know of that has anything like a reputation for weak frames is the '95 model
Yeah, some of the F models did crack at the headstock. Not heard of the G's having this problem though.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Originally posted by zoopla
i had my 98 for years, i polished mind and i weight 260 pounds, never seen a crack on mind.
I think we just seen a "mind on crack" though :D Just kiddin' man, it just struck me as funny.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have a 99 adn I do many wheelies, stoppies and being that I live in PGH, PA the roads sucks. I hit pot hole after pothole and I haven't seen anything, I just got done checking the visible spots without taking off plastic.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Originally posted by yratellim
I have a 99 adn I do many wheelies, stoppies and being that I live in PGH, PA the roads sucks. I hit pot hole after pothole and I haven't seen anything, I just got done checking the visible spots without taking off plastic.
LoL i thought you said in your post the bike was never abused.[:p]

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Originally posted by yratellim

I've heard of rims denting and cracking from potholes. The frame could withstand it, but your rims might not be that strong anymore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.