Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a huge gripe but has since been fixed. I have a '98 that would rattle the shit out of my nerves until the engine warmed up. I brought it in to be looked at, and was told it is normal because of the design. The tensioner is supposed to be loose and then as the engine warms up, oil and pressure push the tensioner out. WHAT THE HELL KIND OF A DESIGN IS THIS?!? :( Well, apparently Kawasaki began to ask that same question and changed the design in either '00 or '01. So I went out and purchased a '01 model tensioner. Fits perfect... no more rattle![8D]

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pictures are worth a thousand words, so here is a diagram. It is an exploded view off Kawasaki's website, but don't feel you have to tear your bike down this far. I believe all you need to do is remove the tank and airfilter housing to access the tensioner. Make note of the part number, it is 12048-1181 for the '01 model. Also, you should change the o'ring which is part number 92055-1583. It just takes the 2 bolts to remove/install. You can use the same bolts and don't need new ones. The old tensioner twists out to add tension, but then twists back when there is no oil pressure. Whereas the '01 is a ratchet system that will stay out, keeping tension on the chain even when there is no oil pressure.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
You know what I have never felt that on my 99

·
Registered
226 Posts
i second that about the APE manual tensioners. i put one in my bike because it was rattling a little around 5 grand and now its smooth as butter. i love it. kinda a bitch to put in tho.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.