Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm thinking about getting a 1998 zx6-r. This weekend I am taking MSF. Anyways I was wondering if there are any problems with this year model or anything? I'm also looking at 1997-1998 F3. What do you guys thing? What are known for going bad on a 1998 zx6-r? I know Hondas have CCT problems and Yamahas YZF600r have second gear transmission problems(I'm staying away from Yamaha). I would go suzuki but I don't like the riding position. So my choices are Kawasaki and Honda right now.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
i dont the the 98 has any major problem to look out for. and you should be able to get one for really cheap....

anyone else have anything to add? perhaps some 98 owners?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The ZX6R will kick the crap out of the YZF600R. Not sure about the F3 though. Personally I don't like Honda, so I would go with the 6R. I've never really heard of anything going bad on them either. Just make sure whatever bike you buy is well taken care of both before and after you buy it, and it should last indefinitely.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've owned a '98 for the last 3 summers. I had to get the valves done last year but other than that its been pretty good. No real problems if you keep everything well maintained. I haven't ridden anything newer so I can't compare as far as speed and handling go, but I love mine.
Here's a picture.
http://gdblatz.no-ip.com/gdb/slides/DSC00528.html

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I'd go for the Kawi. Those Honda F3's pull like a mutha' but I think the Kawi looks and rides better. I used to have a 96 zx6r, and never had one problem out of it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I havent had any problems so far with my mine. I just bought it this summer, June...its really nice and smooth. Here is a picture of it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those pictures are sweet. I'm looking to get a 1998 zx6-r. Probably Green. I don't know what the difference between the F and G model though. Are those just different year ranges? Thanks Let me know. I think I have made my decision to only settle for a 98 zx6-r due to price and insurance(looks and power too).:D

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I believe that they are completely different bikes. The 98-99 Ninjas are good looking bikes too. Great power and you shouldn't be disappointed by the handling one bit. If I had the choice of a ZX6R, YZF600R, and an F3 the ninja would be my #1 choice without question.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Originally posted by Ken Yellow 02
I believe that they are completely different bikes. The 98-99 Ninjas are good looking bikes too. Great power and you shouldn't be disappointed by the handling one bit. If I had the choice of a ZX6R, YZF600R, and an F3 the ninja would be my #1 choice without question.

I'm fairly certain that the Ninja's didn't change much from 95'-98'.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by TommyV
Originally posted by Ken Yellow 02

I'm fairly certain that the Ninja's didn't change much from 95'-98'.
95-97 didn't change much. 98-99 newer style.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
The bike was upgraded in '98 (lighter and more peak power) and again in '00 (lighter and more power). The look of the bike was changed slightly in '98, and even less for the '00 model. The biggest difference I noticed between the '98 and '00 model was a lower center of gravity that made the bike feel even lighter than the actual difference in the weights.

I've had a '96, a '98, and had MANY rides on the '00-02 models (in fact I have an '01 parked beside my 636 right now in the garage...). They're all very similar in layout and riding position. I found the '96 to be very torquey (good throttle wheelies). The '98 was reliable and fairly competent even against today's supersports. You'll find it a little more upright, soft, and slightly top-heavy compared to the newer generation 600's, but still it won't be out of place running beside 'em. Spend some time setting up the suspension properly and you'll get big benefits. If you like doing the tinkering and maintenance yourself, investing in a repair manual is never a bad idea. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
They all have ram air starting in '95. Probably '98 up is your best bet. The '00 on have the dual headlight if looks are important to you. The '95-'97 are about the same, '98-'99 are the same and '00-'02 are the same.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
The F models ('95-'97) and the G models ('98-'99) are virtually completely different bikes. They have different frames, suspension, brakes etc.
The rear wheel on the '98-02's is wider than the '95-'97's
The engine is the most similar thing on them and even that is different, although they could probably be swapped between models.
The '98-'02's are better bikes than the '95-'97's but not as much fun to ride, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I've had a 99 zx6r and still have an 02. These bikes are almost identical. The 02 make a tad more power, but you'll never feel if from the saddle. I owned both since they were new, and they feel identical. The only diff is the 02's suspension was quite a bit firmer. If I was blindfolded I wouldn't know which one I was sitting on. Riding, I'd propbably know, but only because I never changed the suspension settings on the 99 bike. When the 98 6R came out it won the 600 shootouts.

Back when I had the 99 I rode an F4, and I liked the 6R better. So, for that reason, I'd get the 6R over the F3, but I've never ridden an F3. A lot of people like the F3's though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.