Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got the bike back together running the other day and ran ok with the choke on soon as you shut it off it shuts off or if you gave it any throttle at all no i have cleaned the carbs once already when i first pulled it apart and new plugs set to spec and i have checked and adjusted the pilot screww there all 3 1/1 turns out and it cleaned up the idle alot like idles great but still shuts off when you touch the throttle but if you use the choe and the throttle to get the rps up and shut the choke off it works great on throttle till you get down to around 2500-2 grand then it will shut off if your still twisting the throttle but if you leave it alon it just goes back to idle course i have synced the carbs and they all read the same vacum so besides tearin them back down and cleaning them agin i dont know what else to do hahaha

·
Registered
36 Posts
When cleaning carbs, sometimes it's nessesary to remove the low speed jet and force a strand of wire from a cable or something small enough to go through it. Many overlook this step. And, those 3-4 holes in the venturi ,where the butterfly closes, must ALL be clear. And, the airbox can not leak air in any way.

Also, water in the fuel gives the same symptom. Drain the bowls and be sure there's fresh gas. Put a long fuel hose from the tank into a container, let the tank sit for a while, come back and open the petcock to RES and inspect the fuel. The cloudyness will be on the bottom if there's water(it dont take much).

·
Registered
297 Posts
^^ Truth. Carbs are sensitive to vacuums. If your tank vent is clogged, you'll stall out when riding (not your issue). If there's wonky pressure in you airbox, you'll either flood out or completely dry out. To be honest, I suspect it is something simple as your pilots. I'm not sure if the ZX carbs are the same Klein CV as on the ex500, but 3 1/2 is quite a few turns.

Before you tear them apart, I'd recheck hoses. After, check the airbox.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts