Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well i got my bike from a friend for cheap and i had know it was in an accident before. so i got the bike back to ride-able quality, and rode the bike for 2 years. well this year i finally got some used oem plastics lowers for the bike. when i test fit them the nose of the bike was not lining up where the lowers meet the nose fairing, the mating area at the very bottom of the nose would go inside the front upper part of the lowers. so i decided to pull the nose and everything apart and check the bracket that holds the gauge and headlight, i adjusted it up some. at this point i figured it was the frame. so i measured the wheelbase and got 54.5", its supposed to be 55.1".
it is very hard to tell its tweaked, unless the plastics are on. but it looks like its on the left hand side of the headstock. you can feel a slight indentation.

so now i am at a crossroads. fix the frame somehow, get a new or good used one, or part the bike out.

i did have the forks checked by a machine shop and said they are fine.

if i could fix it i would like to keep it under $500, but i doubt that is possible.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
These frames take quite a beating, and if in fact your frame is bent, one with a title can be had for around $200 on ebay, i bought a straight one with a salvage title for $120 shipped, and another for $200 shipped, both salvage titles.

Ben

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Where are you located ? Someone might know of something in your area ?

Hell someone might even be interested in your entire bike. I hate to see running rideable bikes being parted out. :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i took the bike out and watched the top clamp. when i tried to straighten it while riding it would start to turn, i have gone over this bike a few times, and had a machinist check the forks and steering stem to be straight, i talked with my friend and he told me the bike did a stoppie and swung to the left when he rear ended a truck, he said it wasn't real fast, but i know the shifter stay was broke when i got it. and the indention is on the left side of the frame where the fork/bottom clamp looks like it would hit, but the bottom clamp wasn't broke in any way.though the radiator looks like the front wheel bent it up, though it doesn't leak.

i have been looking for a good straight frame but they are all $500 with shipping.

i am in Lexington, Ky.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Buddy of mine had an RC51 that he wrecked an rebuilt and it liked to swerve to the right for a while. He put the WHEEL dead straight as far as we could measure, loosend the triple clamps put the handle bars straight as far as we could tell and then retorqued everything and it solved the problem.

Not saying this could work for you, obviosuly something is whacked, but if the forks shifted in the mounts it could account for the steering problems.

If you were closer i would make an offer on your bike, i've been wanting a streetfighter/stunt 6R for a number of years.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have taken the whole front end apart and put it back together with no change. i would love to fix it, but i have been thinking of downgrading to a 250r.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
i have taken the whole front end apart and put it back together with no change. i would love to fix it, but i have been thinking of downgrading to a 250r.
Could be the frame damage causing it then.

Can't go wrong with a 250. I loved mine. Still looking to find an old one for cheap that i can scoot around the track with.

found an 87 when i still lived in VT for 800 bucks but i didn't really have the cash and didn't want to move it all the way out to MO along with all the other crap i have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts