Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a 98 zx7r that was used as a stuntbike in the past, rode it for a day and started noticing starting problems.

it will start and run/ride fine sometimes but others it will just crank and crank with nothing happening. the first day i had it i accidentally ran it with the fuel switch on "off" then had to turn the switch and wait a while for it to start again, but it did eventually run. but hasnt started consistantly since....any input would be appriciated, i checked for spark and its not getting any.

thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
started yesterday and went riding all day. started after every stop we made. for now, all seems well.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sounds like you are in the first stage of ignition switch failure. Do a search there is a ton of information out there about this problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well its back to its old crap again,

searched for ignition switch failure and came accross nothing, can anyone post a link or is there any way to bypass the switch all together?(not worried about theft.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also, with the switch failing would it still allow the bike to crank?

if i have enough time on my hands i can sit and (key on key off/ running switch on/off ) while trying to start the bike and eventually it almost always fires up. Other days it runs fine all day, every time its stopped, it starts back up first try.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey i know its been a couple of months

but one of the things thats common and happens is the wires under the tank from the ignition tend to heat up and melt the plug that is one problem the other is the ignition its self sometimes it falls apart on the inside there is a bunch of little metal contacts inside and sometimes the plastic shatters pull it apart its real simple and make sure the tiny grey wire to the rear computer/igniter/cdi on the tail has voltage if it doesn't there are chances that the wires under the tank got hot and melted or the actually grey wire could have melted, I myself am runnin into a spark problem the other day it was running and it stopped runnin and now i Have no spark but i have already repaired my ignition and the grey wire and the others under the tank so i have a coil pack/coil pulser/ igniter problem and i'm trying to figure it out lol so ya good luck hope my info helps

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
also, with the switch failing would it still allow the bike to crank?

if i have enough time on my hands i can sit and (key on key off/ running switch on/off ) while trying to start the bike and eventually it almost always fires up. Other days it runs fine all day, every time its stopped, it starts back up first try.

yes.

ima have one of my boys here sticky my "good things to know" thread..

anything else, let me know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts