Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought a engine for my '98 ZX9R and after installing it I realized it was from a '00-'01 model. The difference I found was a Cam Position Sensor on the '98 that is not on the 00' model. First I thought using Dyna Ignition with coils would take care of this, but they to relied on the Cam Position Sensor to tell the number one plug when to fire. So then I brought a wire harness and CDI box for a '00 model. Instead of replacing the whole harness I changed the connector from the the '98 model to the '00 model. After checking every wire that from the CDI, they all went to the same places with the exception of the to red wires going to the Cam Position Sensor, which only went to that. And one wire on the '00 model that went to the Speedo Sensor that was not on the '98. After all this I still can not get the bike to fire. Also, when I tapped the Cam Sensor to a grounded bolt whiles trying to start the engine, I could make it fire but oh course its no at the right timing.

HELP!!!!!! Anyone!!!!! Ahs anyone change a 98 engine with a 00 one and made it work? What am I missing?

·
Registered
803 Posts
when u say you changed the connector, what are you referring to? I would just replace the whole harness and cdi box with the 00 model.....the cam sensor is whats messing you up....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have changed the whole harness but some of the connector are different, like the headlight, the '00 has 2 lights and the '98 only 1. What I did was cut the connector off from the '00 and '98 and swapped them, remind you I traced every wire to make sure they were going to the correct place. As for the Cam Position Sensor, there is a hole drilled in the front of the block right above the exhaust,(on the number one spark plug side). Not 100% sure but what I think it does is senses from the cam when the number 1 plug should fire. ON THE '00 there is a indent where this should fit but it would have to be drilled out an I'm not sure if there is anything on the '98 cam that would need to go on it.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
the bikes are not wired the same and the CDI boxes are COMPLETELY different, internally and externally. the cam sensor does not fire the #1 cylinder it runs the tach. 98-99 motors have a trigger on the end of the exhaust cam, 2000-up do not. you might be in a pickel here. maybe switch the wiring back to the way it was and find a different way to run the tach???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Nitrouschris, I had it wired with the '98 CDI and the bike would not fire. I have the shop manuals for both bikes. I am not doubting you but I traced all the wires from the CDI on both, and the wires went to the same place. Yes both CDI are completly different, but the wires, colors and locations, were the same. I still have the '98 CDI with enough wire to but it back if there is a way to make this work.The tach is the least of my worry, I'm sure I can find a way to make that work.

·
Registered
803 Posts
knuckle....i posted your problem in the other forum...... I go here alot for alot of my technical needs...these guys are very knowledgable, you'd think they helped design the 9r hahhaha

http://www.bikersoracle.com/zx9/forum/showthread.php?p=120839&posted=1#post120839

and NitrousChris.... seems your right, heres the responce:

On closer examination of the relevant wiring diagrams, the 'E' model CDI has TWO black/yellow striped wires running to it, the 'C' model only has one. It does go to the speedo sensor on both models but only because its a common earth.

As the 'C' model loom has no provision for a second earth wire he can't have connected it. He just needs to provide a second earth for the CDI...the problem will be in finding which of the spare CDI terminals it connects to as there may be four unused terminals for fuel shut off valves, which are apparently only used on German, Swiss and Californian models. You need an 'E' model owner to give you a pinout for the CDI really

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks KawBoy I appreciate all the replies and help. I will hit that site up tonight. You are correct about the E model hasa black/yellow and a yellow wire. I traced the black/yellow down and it was just a common ground so I spliced it in to the other black/yellow common ground. The yellow wire conected to the Speedo Sensor, the C model did not have that yellow wire, so I ran that wire and spliced it inline with the Speedo. The Speedo Sensor on both models are the same so I didn't see any harm in doing so. I have both the c and E model shop manual and I have went over both wire harness. and those were the only wires that did not match up.(except for the head lights becoause c model only have 1 and the E model has 2 and relys for them). As for the Cam Position Sensor, if it is only for the Tach than why does it make the engine fire if I tap it to a ground whiles pressing the starter button?
Again I am not doubting anyone but inquiring as to why. I have this posted on a few othe forums and this is the most replies I have received.
Thanks Fam!!

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
its feeding back through the harness somewhere,it may get its 12v from the #1 coil, and grounding it triggers that coil.I dont even run the cam sensor in my 99. also the crank trigger set up is different. this is why you cant use a 2000-up crank trigger and sensor on 98-99 and vise versa. It all goes back to the cdi box, you can run the wires into it however ya want, its not hard wired internally to work the same as the 98-99 boxes. your best bet would have been to keep the 98 box and swap the 98 trigger assy to the 2000 motor. this is how my spare motor is set up being a 2000. Hope ya get it squared away

Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
!!!!NITROUS!!!! You are the Best!!!!!! I put the '98 CDI, Crank Rotor(Trigger), and connector back on the bike. I tried to start and got no fire. So I then plugged the Cam Sensor up and just grounded it and that worked! The spark plugs started firing!!! It was music to my eyes! I will have to finish testing tomorrow(put some gas in it and start it up)
A thousand thanks to you. Let me know when you get that ZX9 to do a 7 second run, I'm betting on you.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
SAAAA WEEEEEEEET!!!!!!! congrats man! i new you get it cause it sounded like you had the idea but just needed a little help. Glad i could help ya

Good luck with it!
Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi all

hi all , newbie here, ive just done the e engine into c model swap , ive got it to run a few times , through experimenting at the moment i have the cam sensor plugged in and the trigger off the c on the engine , its hard to start though, ive noticed the rev couter goes straight up to redline as soon as it gets going.i did have it running with the e model trigger but the timing was off a lot .since swapping triggers its started and ive reved it a few times but its not starting regular

im just wondering if knuckleup actualy got his bike sorted properly, ive no airbox etc on mine at the moment as i want to get it running half decent before going to the trouble of buttoning it up properly ,perhaps its lack of earth to the cam sensor that has mine unreliable at presant.

spose i better find where to do a proper intro now :)

edit... im now wondering will the bike have a rev limiter if the rev counters not working ? ideas anyone..

·
Registered
8 Posts
nobody talking?,its cos im oily and have a limp isnt it !

anyway, im buttoning this c model up at the mo, ill know whats the craic with this swapover soon and ill post the results .

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just finished putting a 2001 engine on my 1998 zx9r and it runs great. I used everything from the 2001 engine but the cams and crank trigger. I took the head off to have the cam sensor hole drilled in it at a local machine shop and put new rings in while i was at it. But i used the 1998 zx9r cams, cam sensor, crank trigger, and obviously all the 98 wiring harness. But the only thing that needs done for the 00 up to work on the 98-99 is to have the cylinder head drilled for the the cam sensor, i had my old 98 head and took both the 98 and 01 head to the machine shop and they did a great job matching the hole up. Sorry about the long post, but i wanted to make it clear.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts