Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lol ok well i realise this may be a little full on for my first post but i'm having a bit of bother with my first roadbike and it's something i need help with so i suppose this is the place to ask.

OK, i have a 99 model zx6r that has been turbo'd, it has wiseco forgies in it an a little bit of other work also. Recently whilst riding to work the engine let go and began pumping oil out my crank case breather.

Once i pulled it down i saw that cyl. 3 piston had been busted on the edge an the side of the pisten had also worn away against the cylinder.

I've spent a fair bit of time with cars but i'm fairly new to bikes, so just have a few questions as to how i go about repairing this?

I plan on buying a new set of pistons, rings, etc, BUT what do i do with the bores? I have read that they are electroplated, so i believe that i cant have them honed? Can i simply replace that one sleeve? or will i need to by an entire second hand set of sleeves/bores?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, David​

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’m pretty sure your cylinders and nikasil-plated. (a nickel-silicon composite) Unfortunately these can’t be rebored so you’re most likely going to be replacing it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts