Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, hows it going? I am new to Kawi-forums and I already have a problem.
I went for a short ride with my 01 9R, did a small wheelie and about a mile and half later the bike started sputtering similar to what it feels like when you are about to run out of fuel. Then it died and I started it again and it ran for about 50ft with little power and died again. Now it wont even start. So I started diagnosing:
1)Battery is fine, fuses look good.
2)I took the fuel pump out and connected it directly to the battery, submerged the Inlet hose and it was poaring out fuel. I didn't connect a fuel pressure guage, but it was poaring out fuel pretty good.
3)Then I checked the fuel pump relay and the ohms were in the right region according to the chart in the haynes manual.

Do you guys have any ideas on what I need to do to get the 9R running agian? Thanks in advance, Andrew.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm not real mechanically inclined but did you get past the basic checks like:

Fuel hose unobstructed?
Tank free of rust or sediment inside?
Fuel filter clean enough?
Could a hose have popped off when setting down the wheelie?

Has the bike been used much lately or was this the first ride in a long time?

Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Make sure there is fuel in the bowls (loosen the drain screw and see if fuel comes out). Check the plugs...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was probally about 1-2 Weeks between riding, but it has been sitting in my garage for about 3-4 months since then. The filter and hoses look in good order. Thats my next step bala, I am waiting on the arrival of some NGK Iridium plugs but I will take a look at the old ones tommorow.
Will fuel come fill bowls if the bike has been sitting there for a while?
Thanks bala and ninerider01. I will let you guys know what happends tommorow.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That could be a ton of problems. ignition coils, wires, plugs, gas lines,carbs, ect...ect...

1st check see if the spark plug fires. If so nothing electrical is the problem.

2nd check the air lines from the ram air to the float bowls( that is the two little tubes in your ram air), your main filter wont be the problem.

after you check plugs and small ram air tubes.....

3rd it must be not getting fuel. Which would be a carb problem. If you already checked the fuel pump.

( very slight possibility it could be valve problem, or maybe the vacuum switch) JUST TRYING TO GIVE YOU SOME IDEAS.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Muzzy998R -- try these from the manual
starter lockout switch or neutral switch trouble
starter motor trouble
battery voltage low
starter relay not contacting or operating
starter button not contacting
wiring open or shorted
ignition switch trouble
engine stop switch trouble
fuse blown

(I know you've tried some of these),,, my dad always said "air-fuel-spark" for non running motors..SON IT HAS TO BE ONE OF THOSE- WORK ONE AT A TIME!!!

when I read your note- i was thinking --->
1.is the spark getting to the plugs
2.ram air plugged-- blow compressed air backwards through plumbing
3.take seat/gas tank off and check the wires to connections
4.check fuel in the float bowls
5.back fuel/reserve switch or clogged fuel filter(before or after the fuel pump)
6. something in the ramair plumbing came unattached

well... let us know

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First of all, thanks for all the help and replies. This site is awesome.
I checked the plugs and they actually look pretty decent (as they should for plugs that only have 4900 miles on them). I then did the test where you fire the bike while the plugs are near/touching the frame. I could see blue spark from every plug.
ZX-9RMan I am having trouble seeing the two lines from the ram air to the float bowls. Youre not talking about the big ducts that feed the air box, or the lines that come from the valve/coil cover area to the carbs?
The next step is to check for fuel in the bowls. Thanks again for all your help so far guys.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey mine did the same thing after a wheelie - set it down kinda hard you know - remove your windshield and behind instrument cluster is a starter relay check it - plug on mine came loose - I just unplugged and replugged it and worked fine
Good Luck Joe

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine has two tubes in side the ram air, their about half an inch or so. On mine they run from the front of the bike, in the ram air, to the carbs. There should be two (one in each side) air filters that look like a fuel filter. If those are clogged or off, your bike will start and run but little power and It won't rev very good. Your bike may vary a bit though. Good Luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Joecool, you got my hopes up man. I check them out and pushed together everyone I could get my hands at. I am going to go back and look at them somemore. The starter relay is a box I take it?
Bala-I unscreawed the drain and fuel came pooring out.
The thing that is really off is that the fuel pump doesn't make any sound at all. Are the 9R pumps the quietest around? Everybike I have been on you can hear the pump when you start the bike.
Starting to get pretty frustrated and I am thinking about taking it to a stealership but I really want to see if we can get this thing. Thanks again, Andrew.

·
Registered
442 Posts
You should hear a constant tick when the fuel pump is working. If you shut the fuel valve the tick should get louder since it can't pull more fuel through. The relays are on a rubber boot behind the speedo. easy to see with the screen off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I may have found the problem. I unplugged one of the starter relays and inside it was covered in what looked like blue chalk. What is that? I noticed that one of the four plugs was slightly damaged, and it later broke off. I ordered the part 27002-1086. Hopefully this is it, thanks again guys.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Joe, did you bike stall when riding it, or did it just fail to start the next time you tried? I am wondering why a starter relay would effect the bike while it was already running?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
YES!!! I tried firing the bike even without one of the starter relays and it started up and is running awesome. I guess it must have been some dumb luck somewhere. This thing is a true beast. Thanks for all your help, Andrew.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.