Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 zx9r. Have been doing some work on bec it wasnt well looked after by the previous owner. The engine was bogging down at like 7000rpms and topping out at 100 like it wasnt getting enough fuel or air. Fixed the intakes new k and n and then I had the carbs rebuilt jets cleaned...Bike redlines fine now and runs through the gears with power. Right now it will seriously get up to 125-130 quickly... but after that the engine rpms will continue to rise but the bike seems to stop pushing almost like the clutch is partially engaged. Anyone had a similar problem? Origin...? Solution...? Any ideas welcomed... thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if its the clutch or what. Thats the best way I could describe how the bike was reacting. Just passing 7800 mi. I am running lean and decellaration from high rpms its cracks a bit. Would that be the cause of how it performs in sixth? Anything over 6 or 7k rpms in the other gears the bike is eager to move...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Do you have your clutch lever too tight? There's supposed to be 3mm of play in your lever.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If your rpms arent climbing then id say mains. You said you put in a k&n filter..and didnt change the mains? easy test... put in ur old stock filter and see if its better.. if so.. fatten up them mains a bit. Intake has more effect on carburation then exhaust.. many people confuse this. If k&n claim there filters flow 30% or whatever more air.. then obviously its leaning out with stock mains the same amount.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Check the secondary air switch under the front of the airbox, there is a small pipe that comes from number 1 and 4 vacuums under the carbs. This may be allowing air if it has a hole in it somewhere. took me ages to find it on mine.

Also check the picture below as this is the most common cause.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
my issue is that mine won't get over 135 mph. I've checked the vacume lines and everything seems fine. it also won't get anywhere near redlining in 6th gear either
Most zx9's won't top out in 6th unless you have changed the sprocket gearing. Top speed is 170 ish.

As for not going over 135mph, I've not heard of that before, I can only think air filter or ram air problem. Does it rev out in other gears?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Most zx9's won't top out in 6th unless you have changed the sprocket gearing. Top speed is 170 ish.

As for not going over 135mph, I've not heard of that before, I can only think air filter or ram air problem. Does it rev out in other gears?
Bought my 98 9r new. She banged the rev limiter in 6th with the stock pipe and gears.

Not going over 135 is a clutch issue or oil issue ruining the clutch. Run a good real synthetic like Red Line MOTORCYCLE oil. Or some Rotella 15w-40.

slomo

1 - 20 of 23 Posts