Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.motorcyclists-online.com/o1_835_Yamaha-RD-350--2-strokes-revival-.html

yamaha's 350cc liquid cooled, two stroke sport bike. wasn't this mentioned in jest last week by someone? i thought they said it was a 250 though. anyway, this bike looks hot but there was little info on the site. they say "other manufacturers" will also be producing similar bikes. a 350 two stroke could put out twice the horsepower of the ninja... and be lighter. j

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
The 250 has a lot of competition! ... Just not in the states. There's 0 chance of a two-stroke bike coming out in the U.S. unless someone revamped it like Mazda revamped their rotary motors a couple of years back.

It'd be frickin' sweet though!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Not to mention it'd spank the shit out of us!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
475 Posts
That's just some guy's crazy concept drawing. Look how the bike isn't even designed around the engine. The scale makes the engine look like its 50cc.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
the problem with 2 strokes wass that the oil injection never was precise enough and when the EPA passed the emissions standards requirements in 1978, they died off. i used to hate the mach 3's and such... maybe new technology would allow them now, with catalytic converters, digital electronic ignition and oil injection, they may be clean enough now. cars could even have much smaller 2 stroke engines. still, the price would be over $9k for the rd350. that bike looks kind of jetsonian dual purpose, except for the tires. j
(and liquid cooled 2 stroke engine can be tiny, just need room for the piston and water jacket in top end and it is just a 350 twin)

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I have fond memories of riding a friend's RD400 back when dinosaurs still roamed the earth in the 70s.
This RD350 would not appeal to beginning riders or sell anywhere near as well as the Ninja 250, so it's doubtful Yamaha would introduce this bike as competition. I also doubt they'd sell enough to make it worth importing to the US even if they could get around the emission problem and I'm sure their marketing people have already deduced that. It would make an awesome track bike, but if they're looking to compete for the 250 segment against Kawasaki (and now Honda?) this isn't the bike.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i dunno, i feel like this would have a nice niche. it's low cc enough for beginners but enough power to keep them interested for some time. still prefer the ninja's design tho, but i think this could take some business away from the 250 (which could be good cuz that way it'd be easier to find one)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I'm selling the 250 tomorrow and putting a deposit on one. I don't care how long it take for them to be delivered. I'll just bitch at the dealer until it comes in.

·
Registered
130 Posts
A 350 or 400cc FI four-stroke full fairing bike (with windshield) is what it would take to sway my status as a ninja 250 owner. The honda and yamaha "Ninja 250 competitors" look great... for "road-warriors". So does a Nekkid 250R, though.

As long as your deposit earns interest, enzo, you should be OK.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'd rock that Yamaha in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You got that right cajuntlr. I remember the old 500 2 stroke "street bikes," insane throttle response!

Can you imagine a ZX10 2 stroke ... nothing ... but nothing could touch it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts