Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I figured with the warm weather it's about time to go see how she's doing. Get her cranked over and see if she's mad that I've neglected her for so many months. I spent about ten minutes this morning trying to start and got nothing. I left and came back a few hours later. Tried again and she turned over a rumbled for a couple seconds a few times, but wouldn't stay running. This is fairly normal behavior when she's cold. She stopped turning over, so I figured maybe all the starting flooded her.

I went in the house and came back out maybe twenty minutes later and tried to give 'er another round. After the first couple revs on the first attempt I heard a LOUD CRACK. This did not sound like exhaust backfire, but hopefully I'm wrong. It was the most hideous sound she's ever made besides that time she went sliding into the front of a car!

So... What the [email protected]$k did I do? Is she just pissed about sitting for months? Was this a big old lump of fuel exploding in the exhaust, or did I crack something major in the engine? Any theories or ideas on where to start would be GREATLY appreciated!

Son of a B*#$%!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet.

Too concerned that I snapped something in there. I don't wanna do any more damage than I already might have done. I'm hoping for some ideas on what could have gone so I know where to start.

Sounded like it came from the left side of the bike. Could I have snapped my timing chain or something else over there?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
youll need to pull the fairing off-get to the ignition wheel and crank the motor over with it using a wrench. pull the spark plugs to make turning it easy-youll feel right off if its a timing chain, or worse-broken valves...

but with a crack sound-i donno. did it go like "rrr"(starter) then crack-or did the starter crank over a few times like rrr rrr rrr crack? if its a r-crack, then id say your cylinder was flooded and you may have a possibility of damage-but i doubt it...

when your cranking the motor over by hand, do it slowly and listen near the frame for any stange noises from the motor.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
supra.. my boy's shit did this after he got an ebay motor in to install.. it'd randomly lock up with tht sickening crack.. then, it's spin again.

it sounds like hitting the case with a ball-peen very hard. :(

wish i coulda gotten to that thing before he ripped it apart.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay... Which side is this "ignition wheel" on and what does it look like? I'm going to go pull the tank and airbox so I can get to the plugs. What will a fuxxored timing chain feel like? How will I tell if it's busted valves? I only know enough to be dangerous! I swapped the whole bike onto a new frame last summer, but I don't foks with that engine stuff! Grrr... This BLOWS! Any pictures or more descriptive step by step instructions are highly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
28,313 Posts

the black cover. in front of the clutch cover.

a timing chain will bunch up or feel "crunchy". it should be smooth without the plugs in it..

still tryin to track my boy down. we'll figure something out bro..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AWESOME! Thanks for the quick response bro! I totally thought the timing chain was on the left side. This DOES run all the way up to the top end, correct? Heading out there right now. I'll keep you guys updated.

Is this chamber part of the oil system? AKA, do I need to drain oil before taking off that cover? I suppose that would be good to know. :p

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
yes sir, the chain does run up from the crank to the cams.. and as well, it's "wet"... its the main return tunnel for the oil in the top end.

the cover is o-ring sealed so you won't need a gasket. might wanna put a pan under that cover! lol

good luck man

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ahhh...Sorry my bad, i only ever pulled mine off to do the ignition advancer, and was a dry job....didnt realize he was going further in...

·
Registered
317 Posts
no shit on this one. there is a plug on the lower left case cover it may look like a flat head screw driver end. pull that off there is the end of the crank. spark plug size, if you are going too turn it do it counter clock wise. and slow very slow. remember what position it was and count the turns, that may mess alot of shit up......

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
wrong. take your bullshit guessing the fuck out of the 7-R section. theres NEVER been a slotted inspection port on ANY 7-R ever on any part of any generation of engine.
you've come in here a few times and spewed off random bullshit man. read up before ya post up son.

don't try to retort. i do this shit for a living. you don't see the pics i posted above?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I went straight for the timing cover to try to turn over the engine. Chain looked fine. You can see it here. http://twitpic.com/1ex1l

I threw a 19mm on there and spun it over a few times. Didn't take out the plugs, but it still turned over. Turned it over numerous times by hand without hearing any sort of clanking/crunching/clinking/ticking/doomed engine sounds.

I proceeded to hit the starter a few times and heard no further doom and boom noises this time. It lumped over a few times once, but didn't fire up anymore after that.

*shrug*

So wtf did I hear? She needs a WHOLE LOT of work. Never had a chance to tune her up after getting her running last summer. She sat outside wrecked for about 6 years uncovered before I rebuilt her. I'm sure I'll have more posts coming up in the next few months!

Thanks again to everyone for your input!
REPS FOR ALL!

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
Hmm.. like i said.. and you as well, it sounded (to me that time i experienced this) like it was deep inside the case and on the clutch side of the bike.. (left side)

more towards the front.. like a rod smacking the case.

i still can't get a hold of my boy but the more i think about it, i'm not sure if he knows.. i DO know someone to call tomorrow that might know about this.

see, my boy's shit wouldn't start either.. so, i'm wondering just how close these instances are in relation.. the sound and the behavior is the same to me so far.

the only other thing i can think of is a bent fork allowing the gear dogs to contact and bind.. which, if you're holding the clutch in, would instantly rule that out. in neutral, this would result in a very slight lurch if the dogs engaged and the bike would not move do to the trans bind.

theres nothing in there other than the chain running to the shit that drives the alternatos and theres a one-way clutch assembly up inside the upper case.. right in front of the alternator. theres some misc shit in behind the clutch like the alternator chain and tensioner and oil pump gear.. theres 2 tensioners as well.

i can take pics upon request but gimme about 20 minutes for that shit to make it here.. photobucket and this computer don't agree.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Of course it won't do it again, and I'm FINE with that, but it sounded to me like it came from the side opposite the clutch. Left if you're sitting on the bike. :p

It has caught a few times and rumbled, but just for a couple seconds and then wouldn't start again. I think I need to dive back into my carbs again. I wish I could afford a damn sync tool. Towards the end of the season I would hear a random PFFFTTTT sound from under the tank every now and then around starting time. Like some massive amount of pressure was bursting out of something.

That b!$%h is temperamental! Maybe I should treat her better? :p I freaking bought her a brand new pair of shoes last summer! What more does she WANT!?

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
that was the blow-off valve!! :D

haha.. dude these things are tempermental as fuck. they'll take a beating when the upkeep is done, being the motor is based of the 9-R case and all, and i've seen those making 500HP on boost. incredibly strong, BUT at the same time, very sensitive.

almost like a butch dike on the rag.

all badass most of the time.. then, she just has one of those days where she breaks down.

i will continue to scour da earf for an answer to this.. it perplexes me and i wonder if my motor might not be far from doing this same shit.. how many miles ya got? 31K on mine without a hitch save for electrical gremlins.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My motor's just a baby! Bought it with around 2k miles on it. Got hit after putting MAYBE 1k on it. Then after I swapped everything into the replacement frame I put almost 2k on it last summer. So... Somewhere between 5 and 6k.

The shit that worries me most is that it sat out in the elements uncovered all busted the f up for about 6 years through Wisco winters. Fork seals are completely eroded. I had grime and water in the plug wells up to the top. She could stand a thorough mechanical going over. My damn clutch has some issues too. She's starting to shift like a damn brick!

Any pointers on a gasket or other parts that need replacing in my clutch system that would cause the brake fluid to start turning black up in the reservoir. I'm assuming engine oil is bleeding into the clutch hydraulics and slowly tainting my fluid. :/

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
well, chances are if the seal behind the slave clinder is leaking, you'll also see it dribble onto the ground. thers a gap between the slave cyl. housing and case.

sounds like old fluid contamination.. flush the shit out of it. i'll be doing this tomorrow. i've got black shit in my res.. Brake fluid is initially anhydrous, so as it ages, it wicks humidity up and becomes water-logged.. which then leads to the rusting of shit like pistons and liners and hoses. the black shit is sometimes bits of rubber from a deteriorating line as well.

so, try a cheap easy fix first.. flush and rebleed.. as well, inspect the seal behind the slave cylinder.

your motor is but a pup.. so i have no idea why it's making some stupid ass noise like that.

fork seals are easy.. just watch that the chrome isn't pitted. it'll trash brand new seals in only a few minutes..

also watch those plug wells. my #2 used to fill up with rain water coming out of the clutch-side ram air tube and short it out.. obviously, only when i rode in the rain.. :D

easy way to clean em out is to just use compressed air and keep the plugs in.. lol shit will fly EVERYwhere tho..

uh.. can't think of too much more.. if you've got more questions.. post up!! haha.. i'll be up for a little while more.. :D

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
shiiit ******- you tell that fucking newb...nah-but i was like, YES there IS a window to inspect from...NAWT

and lets see-what could an ebay motor and a 6yr old sitting bike have in common...maybe from sitting-but im scratching my head on this one guys...

when its running, the popping sounds and feel your getting is bad fuel dude-too much seafoam in the system makes it do it too... drain out the carb floats-if its yellow or anything BUT clear, dump it all-dip a cat in it and light a match...now enjoy some much needed stress relief, hahaha.

but seriously-definatly go through the carbs and word from the wiser-TAKE YOUR TIME, clean, open, and traffic free-work environment for dissasembling the parts...and you should obviously take that into consideration on just about any job you do on a bike-stuff is too easy to lose, hell ask ******, lol

damnit! a smack sound, still no clue...i really want to blame the trans or somthin

1 - 20 of 38 Posts