Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this yesterday to use as a commuter. Would like to fix it up as time and money permit. Has anyone had any luck recovering the paint on the tank after it fades? Needs that, a speedo/cable (not the factory speedo on it either... has a green 120mph speedometer)

Bike needs love but runs and rides nicely and everything works except the speedometer. Leaks a little from the cable connection at the front of the motor because it has an incorrect cable on it. Needs a new seat cover. Otherwise just kinda dirty so hopefully a good scrubbing and wiring re-dress will bring it around a bit, but I was hoping to keep the original look on the tank. I've never done pin-striping so my thought was to mask off the pin stripes while I prep and paint the rest of the tank. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a rocket! It has some issues that have emerged... number one carb is leaking from the overflow. I bought a new pin, but balked when I couldn't get to the back two screws to get the bowl off (wanted to try and do it with the carb on the bike). I ran sea-foam through it no change. So I am waiting to run the tank lower before removing it and the carb. The engine makes a bit of a chugging noise which I'm thinking might be carb sync, but I don't have 150.00 for vacuum gauges. minor cosmetics but some of those have been addressed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
carb stopped leaking yesterday. I rode the bike about 4 hours today not a drop.... it's also been making a chugging noise which seems to be coming from the chain. I cleaned and lubricated the chain Wednesday but no change, and a quick look while the noise is happening shows me the chain moving in the same rhythm. I figure either the chain is a little loose or the rear wheel is misaligned. Will be looking at that this Sunday.... all in all a very nice bike though and will be getting a few personal touches once the mechanicals are squared away....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice, I love finding bargin deals on bikes. Good luck, im dealing with carb issues on my ninja 500
the 750 is plenty fast for me.... and as far forward as I want to sit as well... going to be changing the bars because my arms are bent a little too much for my taste. I'm thinking of going with superbike bars, but for less than 20 bucks at the local dealer I can afford to try them and change if I don't like them.

I have a friend who works on bikes (found this out today, knowing he works on cars I figured I'd ask). He'll be helping me make sure I don't screw up the bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts