Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am 15, 5'10" and 140 pounds i was thinking about a zx6r 636 for my first bike would this be a good chioce [?]

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I started on a 500r and work my way up from there. but the 636 is not a toy. she with hurt ya if you don't respect her. I been riding for 4 year and she(636) threw me. slow and stead wins the race

·
Registered
337 Posts
Get a 500 or an older 600 (like early 90's). I don't beleive it's possible to start too small. it's better to upgrade as your skill progresses. There's a very good chance you're going to dump it, so don't invest too much money right away. Also, the older/smaller the better your insurance will be - especially at your age. You've got the rest of your life to ride, provided you survive your first bike. Take your time. And please, please, please wear your gear ALL the time.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Unless you have a pile of cash and can buy the bike outright you won't have to worry about it. No insurance company is gonna touch you. Would your old dirt bike do 160 mph and the quarter mile in less than 11 seconds? If you are gonna start on a ZX-6R you might as well go all the way and get a GSXR1000. They aren't really that much more expensive or wait and get the new ZX-10R.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I was able to get insurance on my 2002 ZX6R when I was 16 for $2000 a year, and that's full coverage. I had a lien on the bike so I had to get it. I took defensive driving and the next year it was down to $800. For a 1999 CBR900RR insurance was only $1500 f/c. But I'm alos older now, so I guess the point of this is that you just have to suck it up and pay the high insurance rates when you're young.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Dude, unless you're a lucky bastard or if you're sitting on a pile of money, I would never ever get only liability. Especially at 15. I'm going to be 19 soon and I still get full coverage. I don't have the money laying around to buy a new bike if I should crash this one. And believe me, the question is not "if I should crash" but "when I crash.." It's only a matter of time. Everybody crashes. And like me, you probably don't have a car or any other mode of transportation besides a bicycle, so when you crash the bike you'll be screwed. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Cyber, I was going to point out the thread I started, but you beat me to it.
Newbie 15 year old with the really strange name and big pile o' stink cash:

Buy whatever you want. You've been warned that starting off on a 100hp 600cc supersport bike (no, riding your friend's bikes a couplke times DOES NOT COUNT as experience) is not a good idea. If you're lucky and smart, you will becareful, and not have any trouble. If you are like the vast majority of inexperienced new riders, you will drop your bike several times. If you are unlucky, you will have an accident that will leave you injured or dead from your own overconfidence in your growing abilities as a rider.

All the things that make an SS bike more enjoyable than a beginner's bike are the very same things that make it that much more dangerous. Buy a beginner's bike and learn how to deal with traffic situations and how to avoid accidents. Then buy an SS bike after a couple years of gaining that experience to become a faster rider. The SS bikes will still be there waiting for you when you've become a good rider.

BC.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Dude, get a used bike...yuou will drop your first street bike a few times, I promise you....

nothing like doing 2 grand worth of plastic damage do your bike becasue your kickstand sank into hot pavement...

riding a bike is a learning experience, and I promise you if you try and do it right you will be a much faster anbd safer rider...

you don't learn to do algebra before you learn to add and subtract do you?

if you are only interested in riding to impress others, then get a 600cc Supersport, but if you want to ride to impress yourself start smaller and older...

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Originally posted by NinjaRider
Dude, unless you're a lucky bastard or if you're sitting on a pile of money, I would never ever get only liability. Especially at 15. I'm going to be 19 soon and I still get full coverage. I don't have the money laying around to buy a new bike if I should crash this one. And believe me, the question is not "if I should crash" but "when I crash.." It's only a matter of time. Everybody crashes. And like me, you probably don't have a car or any other mode of transportation besides a bicycle, so when you crash the bike you'll be screwed. just my 2 cents
Very bad advice
First off, "everybody" doesn't crash. That is the biggest line of shit that some riders talk about.
Secondly, about the insurance- Think about the cost for a 15 year-old with full coverage on a sport bike! He will be paying thousands each year. For that much, he could just buy a brand new bike every year or two! The most cost-effective approach at that age is to just get liability. If you drop it, then it is far cheaper to get it fixed than paying your insurance premiums and your ridiculous deductibles on top of that. There are no two ways about it.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
yep, that's what i did, i only crashed once so far, but got it fixed myself. it really depends how u crash as well...i say that speedvlaze cause crashing is a big possibility

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Originally posted by speedvlaze

Originally posted by NinjaRider<br>Dude, unless you're a lucky bastard or if you're sitting on a pile of money, I would never ever get only liability. Especially at 15. I'm going to be 19 soon and I still get full coverage. I don't have the money laying around to buy a new bike if I should crash this one. And believe me, the question is not "if I should crash" but "when I crash.." It's only a matter of time. Everybody crashes. And like me, you probably don't have a car or any other mode of transportation besides a bicycle, so when you crash the bike you'll be screwed. just my 2 cents
Very bad advice
First off, "everybody" doesn't crash. That is the biggest line of shit that some riders talk about.
Secondly, about the insurance- Think about the cost for a 15 year-old with full coverage on a sport bike! He will be paying thousands each year. For that much, he could just buy a brand new bike every year or two! The most cost-effective approach at that age is to just get liability. If you drop it, then it is far cheaper to get it fixed than paying your insurance premiums and your ridiculous deductibles on top of that. There are no two ways about it.

A 16 year old with his first streetbike? Granted, I never crashed, and I did the same thing he's doing, but I'm sure I will. Not because of my driving ability, but because of somebody else's. If I'm lucky it won't be bad and I'll be able to ride again. I don't see how you can ride a motorcycle these days and not expect sometime over your lifetime or even the next ten years.

And what do you plan on doing when you crash the bike? If you're lucky enough to come from a wealthy family or your parents will continue to help you out then no, don't buy full coverage. But if you're like me, I could barely afford a motorcycle and my parent's won't help me out in getting one. So it was either a motorcycle or a bicycle, and in order to ensure that I would be able to continue riding motorcycles, I bought the f/c. It was an investment on my part, and I was and continue to protect my investment.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I think the whole point is being missed.

I'm not saying that full coverage is a bad thing. I am saying that it is probably not good for him considering his age. If you are at the age where insurance isn't downright absurd, then full coverage is definitely the way to go. But, at 15, the insurance company will ‘rape’ him. With the amount of money he will be paying for full coverage alone, and add on the deductible fee should he go down, it would be far cheaper for him to just take the risk because he will have enough money tied up in his insurance to just buy a brand new bike every 1.5-2 years. So, if he does crash, he will be no farther behind because the money it takes to fix the bike would have gone to the insurance company anyway; and if he doesn't crash, he will be thousands of dollars ahead of the game.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Very bad advice
there is two types of riders: ones that went down and ones that are gonna go down. as for the little tyke dood stick to dirtbikes till your a bit older.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.