Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put away my bike saturday . I had to put it in this little shed at the end of our land. This shed likely become a mouse condo during the winter. I fear those little buggers will eat up my seat or even worse..chew up my wires or vacume lines..

do moth balls keep mice away?
I can put a whole bunch of traps... lol..

anybody have an ideas or input for my worries?

·
Registered
134 Posts
They wont chew on your bike cause it wont taste to good, the only reason they would if they were trapped.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not too sure about that, my parents house nearly burnt down because mice were eating the wires

·
Registered
659 Posts
I know someone who had rats chew up all the wiring in their lexus, and I wouldn't doubt it if mice would do the same. Might sound wierd but what about putting a cover on it upside down, like roll the bike onto the cover and then pull it up and over. Or you could use a tarp to do the same, just make it so the mice can't get it unless they eat through the tarp. I think that might help keep em out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
mice will eat ANYTHING! i've lived out in the country almost my entire life & have seen them eat entire wiring harnesses out of full-size trucks, plus the seat, etc. i'd wrap it upside-down like he said, plus traps & some very hungry cats. the keep checking on it periodicly to see if they eat through the cover. I also think they make these little boxes that make a beepin' noise that mice aren't supposed to like. my grandparents have them at there house 'cause of the mice problem

·
Registered
239 Posts
I agree with the last guy. Mice are famous for chewing up anything they are near. When we store snowmobiles up here it's a good idea to plug the airbox and exhaust off with steel wool to prevent them getting in. They chew everything up and then use it to make their nests in places like that and you end up with a plugged exhaust or stuff in the airbox. Very bad if you start it up before checking it when winter hits, I'm sure you can imagine why!
As for bikes, I'm not sure what you could do ther than what has been suggested above. Could probably use the steel wool trick in the exhaust as well though. Good luck:)

·
Registered
857 Posts
mice will ruin it put tons fo traps and mouse killer, my very first bike a moped when i was 11 was kept in a shed for a long time and mouse built a nest in the exhaust, make sure you plug the exhuast up with somthing and any other holes like that...

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Mice have to chew otherwise their teeth get too long, they dont stop growing, plus they love making nice nests in a seat cushion..

·
Registered
120 Posts
I work for a dealership that has at least 2 cars a week with rodent damage to wiring etc. Here are a few of the suggestions we give customers: 1- spray all wiring with WD-40 they hate it, 2- Soak cotton balls in Pure Spearmint Extract and set them around, 3- dryer sheets (bounce) and of course the never fail 4- cat chained to your bike on a long leash. Seriously though Im told theses things work.

Good luck

Afterthought- there is also this website http://www.ratzapper.com

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
"If you give a mouse a cookie..."

·
Registered
442 Posts
in our second garage about 20 yards from our old house 3 miles into the country with cornfields all around we had lots of mice in the garage and while they were in the mower we turned it on and took care of a lot of em but not before wires and seat were chewed on the 01 zx12r and nests were made under the front fender of the porsche 911!!!! he was pissed. too bad we are poor now! lol ;)

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I'd back it into a tarp and wrap it up, then I'd put a healthy does of rat poison pellets in the tarp. And then I'd lay down more than enough rat poison in the floor around it. then I'd fill the shed with hungry cats.

But it'd probably just be easier to find another place to store your bike.

·
Registered
277 Posts
How about you start off with putting some decon poison around that mofo. Why such a mice proble anyway man?:D

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Box that mofo up in plywood! ;)

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol thanks guys.. i knew i was not freaking for nothing.. i will buy a ton of poison and some traps along with moth balls

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.