Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm making this thread in hope that all you experienced riders out there can shed some light on a soon-to-be new rider. :D

I'm planning on buying a new (or relatively new used) '06 Ninja 250R (Black).
I've proposed a budget of $4000 for everything, but will push up to $4500 if need be. I'm getting a ninja 250R b/c

I'm a newbie to boot [:p], can't afford a 650R, and couldn't handle it anyways, and decided that getting a 250R and going the "mod" road was better, and probably more fun/better experience in learning to ride and take care of a bike.

So here is a list of what I'd like to do to my bike. And if a mod is impossible, yell at me and hit me with flames, b/c there's no better way for a newbie to learn hehe. I would like to achieve a leaned-over riding position, and a sporty style bike.

Wanted mods:
-Remove Flame Decals
-AirTech Streamlining Solo Seat Cowl
-AsianCycle/KeithInAsia Flush Mount Lights (Black)
-Black/White ZX-2R decals from Jeb (look him up on ninja250.org or ninja250.info)
-Integrated Tail Lights/Turn Signals from Clear Alternatives
-Woodcraft Lowered Risers (or clip-ons? Which ones are better?) And if I get these, are Woodcraft Rearsets neccessary (or nice) too? (I think this mod has the most impact on the riding style- Is it possible and will I have to drop the front/ raise the back to achieve this? I think with Woodcraft risers you have to drop one on the front...)
-Zero Gravity double bubble windscreen
-Rim tape

Optional mods (these will go on or not depending on how much $$$ I have :D cuz I'm going to college!!! hehe):
-Muzzy exhaust
-(okay don't laugh at this one too much hehehe) LED accent lights??? On a 250? hehe I know that such lights scream "[:Attention]" lol
-different suspension/shocks??? (once again, I'm a newbie, no idea how this works...)

Thanks for reading and thanks for your input!

As a newbie once said... "Flame Suit On! :D"
-DuoAnimaXVII

·
Registered
336 Posts
well i dont know alot about "ninjas" but i know a lil about bikes kn general. pretty much everything you want to do you can do but only and i mean ONLY with cheap parts. as far as the suspention thing i dont know because like i said i dont know much about ninjas. well does the 4k include the bike? if it does like i said you will have to go with cheap parts. if you have 4k after buying the bike i would go for the expensive ones; DONT FORGET ABOUT SHIPPING!!! that is if you dont have a local parts shop near you.:D and becareful if yoiu get one and dont do anything stupid once you first get it!!!!:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ I suppose I should provide some costs for these parts. And yes, 4K includes the bike... >< hehe and yes, shipping is definitely an extra cost I have to remember...and tax...registration...

-Ninja 250R: $3000
-AirTech Streamlining Solo Seat Cowl: $99
-Flush Mount Lights: $35 (includes shipping)
-Black/White ZX-2R decals: $40 (includes shipping)
-Integrated tail lights/turn signals: $80
-Woodcraft Risers: $150
-Woodcraft Rearset: $200
-Zero Gravity Double Bubble: $85
-Rim Tape: $15 from UK
-Muzzy Exhaust: $400
-Accent LED: hahaha don't think I'm getting it.

Oh Oh Oh~ Are Jet Kits street legal in CA???

EDIT: bkmster14, thanks for your input! I always forget to thank people. Yes, I will most definitely be careful. I've been on like... 50cc/100cc dirtbikes but...way different story.

·
Registered
336 Posts
well Dou the cost for all that is apoximately 4105. i am guessing that the prices dont include shipping and tax. have you checked with hte dealership to see ho much the tax title and liciense will be? most of the time they call the DMV and have all of it ready for you im about 2-3 months. you will have a temp tag till they call you and tell you that your tags are in, but the all of the fees will come with the price of the bike. and i have no clue if the jet kit is legal. i dont live in cali. but just ask the dealer how much all of that will cost. [8D]

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would say everything looks good except for the seat cowl. You lose the ability to carry anything and you cant take off your seat without taking it off. Kinda of a hassle. I would go with a seat cover.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bkmster14, Nope I haven't checked w/ the dealer for all that. I'm not even sure if the local Kawasaki dealer has 250s in stock; they might have to order 'em (is that how it works?)

Dannythechicano, I see your point. I don't know if I will have to carry much stuff. The seat cowl is however just "velcro'd" on (according to Air-Tech) which makes me just want to actually nut and bolt it on. I probably won't have passengers. I think what I'll do is get the seat cowl, and order a seat cover from "custom seat creations" for looks (I don't like the all-black stock)

Thanks for your input! I hope this gets some more reads and more inputs later on... *crossing my fingers...* :D

·
Registered
336 Posts
well Duo, i am in the process of getting a 250 for my wife, and all you got to do is get out the phone book and call hte local shop (preferably the largest one) and ask them if they have em in stock if they do, go check one out. thats what i did. and if the dealer sells kawis they should have one. because i didnt think our dealer would haveone and they have a warehouse that they keep most of the bikes in. not all of them are in the shoroom:D

·
Registered
336 Posts
o by the way dirt is WAY WAY WAY WAY differant than pavement!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[:+1] hehe I realized that when I climbed on top of my friend's zx6r. mhmm... the feeling is way different, but I love the feeling of a sportbike [:p] *drooling* hehe. My friend is getting a Honda shadow (cruiser) and I'm like "eew...sportbike man!" but then he says "dude...you're asian...you can pull that off...I can't!" hehe... (random stuff...)

·
Registered
336 Posts
well all i really have to say is just call the parts house and get all of the prices, call the kawi dealer and get the price for all the fees i told yoiu about, and call the insurance get a quote (DONT TELL EM ABOUT MODS!!!) just tell them that its stock, also you need to get the MSF course. figure that and insurance into your bugget. yoiu are probably going to chill out on some of the mods to just get the bike. get you a p/t job and save save save your money and then fix it up. take it from someone who knows...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
insurance- [xx(] I talked to the guy that insures my car right now (farmers) and he said it might not be much more for a motorcycle, he knows I've wanted a motorcycle for a while. Yes, MSF is an ABSOLUTE!!! ^^:D, And... ya I don't need all of those mods. I'll let go of the muzzy, and the woodcraft rearset.
Hey bkmster14, can I ask for an additional option? Would it be really really really stupid of me to just buy a used zx6r/636 class bike? The main reason I'm getting a 250R is b/c of the cost, but... I've seen used 636/zx6rs for around $4000 (granted they're lots of miles/pre '03) but still... is that really really stupid?

·
Registered
336 Posts
its not "stupid" but i dont recomend it. thats what i did. was really hard, plus it depends how big of a person you are.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
haha. I'm 5'7" [:p] and 150-160lb depending on my workout/eating habits. When I went to disneyland for grad nite (I know, laugh laugh haha :D, they had a Honda showcase, and had a 1000CBR and I sat on it. Felt too big. But- I've sat on a zx6r, didn't know what to feel- good or bad. What do you think?

·
Registered
336 Posts
well do like everyone else did...go with the 250 and upgrade in a few years. i own a cbr1000 as you can see, yea it is a big yellow bike and i love it. as much as i recomend it to better skilled riders, i dont recomend anything over the ninja250 for you.
[:eek:)]
this is my bike
it is at the dealership brand new and is in a white room and it dont look like it is fron my camera, but it is.

·
Registered
336 Posts
i didnt even know that is what it ended up sounding like...lol but its ok

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lol~ well cuz I saw the 'its not "stupid"' quote then I first thought nothing of it then, realized like "omgosh that sounded like I'm implying anyone that does the jump to 636 was stupid, but ya, glad you didn't take it that way.

the CBR10000 looks beautiful, I saw the black one at disneyland. Beautiful bike, I'd buy it if I could ride it and afford it. First...college... haha. So do you know which color you're getting your wife? I'd chance my guess on a yellow one to match yours.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cool~ :) I hope she's excited as I am about getting a ninjette~ that is... if I get a motorcycle at all.. (parents...*sigh* hehe)
Well I think I'm out for the day til I get home~ Thanks for your input bkmster14.
ttyls~
-Duo

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.