Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've grown up around bikes and have always wanted one... but two days ago, the first time I saw a zx6r, I absolutely fell in love. I mean, I hadn't felt this way since my first crush. That night, I didn't sleep a wink. I kept imagining what it would be like to ride it, to own it, to love it, to engage my environment on it. The next day, determined to learn how to ride for the sole purpose of buying a zx6r for myself, I got on my bf's VTR1000 and I rode it around in first gear around the parking lot and I got so excited. Today I got it to third... but when I stopped, I dropped it[V].

[:I]Now, I'm a petite 100 lb female who stands at 5'6" and now I realize that I shouldn't learn to ride on such a big and heavy bike so I'm going to take a beginner rider's course on a 250... but my intention is to actually end up getting a silver zx6r after the 2 week course. Do you guys think I can handle the bike? How much should I lower it and how much can I realistically lower it? What expectations should I have, and what advice can you all give me?

I really have my heart set on this bike... but be as honest as you all can! Thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
well you could lower it and shave the seat that would help.

i think once you lern how to ride a bit more you will be fine.
poor BF bike,hope you and it are alright!

oh and silver is da best

the silver color adds 2 hp alone JK

heres my baby silver rules ! hers is my silver baby

for more pics -www.zbaron.com/bike.htm
/forum/uploads/zbaron/bike_pic.jpg

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
ExoticMix,

Nothing wrong with starting with a smaller bike and working your way up.

Definitely sign up for a rider course. You can reach the MSF - Motorcycle Safety Foundation at 1-800-446-9227.

I'd say a Ninja 250 would be a good starter bike for someone your height and weight. Try that bike first. Then if you ride that a while and end up honing your skills on it, then maybe you'd want to step up to a bigger, more expensive bike. Many of us guys here started on a smaller bike and worked our way up.

Let us know how things go.

-Flash

·
Registered
19 Posts
yeah silver is the way to go. I think the course is a great idea and a smaller bike is an even better one. I actually think that you should get the 250 for a bit till you are bored with it, then and only then ahould you go for the shizzy. i have an 03' , polished rims, painted metallic silver windscreen, decals removed,carbon tank gaurd, fender is gone with small lights and drilled stock pipe till my micron finds its way to my crib, and let me tell you, hottest bike in troy right now hands down, ive heard from many people. they love the shiny windscreen. im about to put small discrete blue neons under the fairing just for a light hue, nothing drastic. also thinkig of chroming the rims rather than keep polishing them. well girl keep it up and perserverance will get you on your silver bullet. just be patient and safe. yuor measurements are the same as my girls and i dont see her trying to ride mine for awhile. see ya kiddo, late

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Well since you cant get green in the US this year, silver is not a bad runner up :)
I started almost directly on my 02 6R (well I rode around a gixxer 1100 for a couple weeks before [8D] ) and I was fine, but it all depends on the rider.
5'6" is not too short for these bikes, its close, but a thick pair of boots should have you touching the ground OK.
The MSF course is a must, it will teach you a lot about control while riding, and even howto walk the bike (nothing more embarassing then dropping it while walking it...)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
yeah, everyone is right. another vote for the MSF right here.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i dont know about a 250, but you could get a 500 or 500R and start out on it for a while and then get the '03

when i took the MSF class, there was this one chick that dropped the 250 3 times...she was pretty petite as well, id say about your build.

for your first bike you want something that you can lift off the ground, because it is gonna definitely fall, so after you've dropped your 250 or 500 a few times you will be glad its not that pretty '03

everyone told me i would drop my bike, i didnt so much drop it as set it on its frame slider extremely gently :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice guys! Yeah there is a 500 sitting in my garage that is not working but I can get it fixed for not too much, I can handle its weight and height pretty easily yet I was planning on selling it and using the money for the down on the zx6r then take the riders course using the 250's they provide, but after hearing everything that you all had to say, I agree that its a better idea to go ahead and fix the 500, take the course and practice, then get my dream bike. But I am so excited... can't I just go for it and get frame sliders? :D I know I know I should be patient and safe. Yay I can't wait!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Well, no one says you can't fix up the bike you currently have access to AND buy a ZX6R. Just keep the 6R in the garage looking pretty until you have a couple thousand miles on the 500 just to prevent those first couple mistakes from costing you all those shiny expensive plastic body pieces.

BC.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Start out on a used smaller bike until you get the basics down, I promise you that you will eventually drop your bike while learning so I would hate for you to drop a new zx-6r...

sounds like you have the right idewa going to the MSF course and starting out on a 250, I'm willing to bet you will enjoy riding much better since you won't be as afraid...

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Ride the 500. Wait until the 04's hit the street and that will drop the price a bit on the 03's and give you some experience while you wait.

·
Registered
36 Posts
5'6" 100lbs? And you love bikes?!?! Ditch the boyfriend and his broken bike, come on over my place and I'll give you mine for a few dates! haha

So anyway, I agree with everybody. My 02 is my first bike, and I lost my footing at a toll both (damn cages dropping their fluids everywhere) and dropped mine from a stop. Just a tiny scratch you cant even notice on the fairing and the mirror, I got lucky. Point is Im 6', 170lbs and in pretty good shape, and I still couldnt change that bikes mind when she decided she wanted to lay down and take a rest, but did a good job slowing it down. If you have a EX500 laying around like you say, fix'er up, ride a few months, and then pop for a ZX6R. Dont risk hurting yourself or the bike when you are obviously intelligent enough to recognize the need for safety.

And hey, the offer's still on...anytime you wanna stop by ;)[8D]

·
Registered
298 Posts
ExoticMix,

Just remember, if you were to go with your beloved silver 636 as a first bike, you'll be heart-broken if/when you drop it (as most new riders inevitably do).

inca jones

·
Registered
468 Posts
We ride with a girl who sounds about your description (phyisically). She took the MSF class and bought a 99 R6 as her first bike. She is a very competent rider, but bought the R6 over the 6R because she could touch the ground better on it. I say go for it if you think you are mentally and phyisically ready for it. This is my first year on 6R as my first bike. Never rode anything more then a cr250r a bunch of times as a teenager. The MSF class will teach you all the basics so your not affraid to ride around normal road situations. BTW, the VTR is definately not the bike to get onto for the first time! I think one of the best things I did for myself earily on was scare myself shitless, and it's been nothing but an awsome experience since. Good luck with riding, it's the absolute best!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
wait for '04 so you can get an '03 for cheap, ride the 500 as much as possible, get the 6R and put frame sliders on it and have a blast when you feel you are ready

·
Registered
81 Posts
ok well i can lend some advice coz i have a sis that rides... her first bike 97 GSXR 750... never rode another bike in her life... she does well for a novice rider.. but shes only been riding about 7 months now and has dropped the bike prolly 5-6 times... has frame sliders however the can is fucked up from it lol gotta get a new one... but her husband makes enuf money to afford it so its no big deal for them.. i would however recommend the other route... teach yourself on a smaller less expensive bike that u dont care about so much... peel off all the plastics and master wheelies and stoppies on it... who cares when yer done thrash it and buy yer new bike and by then youll be more confident and youll enjoy it that much more !!! !

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"ok well i can lend some advice coz i have a sis that rides... her first bike 97 GSXR 750... never rode another bike in her life... she does well for a novice rider.. but shes only been riding about 7 months now and has dropped the bike prolly 5-6 times... has frame sliders however the can is fucked up from it lol gotta get a new one... but her husband makes enuf money to afford it so its no big deal for them.. i would however recommend the other route... teach yourself on a smaller less expensive bike that u dont care about so much... peel off all the plastics and master wheelies and stoppies on it... who cares when yer done thrash it and buy yer new bike and by then youll be more confident and youll enjoy it that much more !!! ! "

I'm also willing to bet that the power of the 750 is really stunting her learning curve..I see alot of people get bigger bikes and they are afraid of the power , weight and handling that if prevents them from tuely learning to ride the bike properly...

You will just become a much better rider in a shorter amount of time if you start on something that is more forgiving....

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have seen women your size on liter bikes. If your brave enough and don't let the bike intimidate you, you'll be just fine. Might want to workout some though wouldn't hurt you at all. Ciao[:M88]

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"I have seen women your size on liter bikes."

I have seen them too, and I dont want to be rude but they rode them like it was a scooter...shortshifting constantly and coasting through turns etc...

but anyone can really learn to ride any bike, just becareful...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.