Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...I am a new guy with a quick question about jetting for this sweet little starter bike (94 Ninja 250) that I purchased for my son.

What the hell were they thinking when they designed that air box?? LOL

Anyhow we are junking the air box and installing filter pods for ease of working on if nothing else.

What would be a good starting point for jetting...that is the only mod we are doing for now...I did a search, everything I found was for newer bikes..

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Hi...I am a new guy with a quick question about jetting for this sweet little starter bike (94 Ninja 250) that I purchased for my son.

What the hell were they thinking when they designed that air box?? LOL

Anyhow we are junking the air box and installing filter pods for ease of working on if nothing else.

What would be a good starting point for jetting...that is the only mod we are doing for now...I did a search, everything I found was for newer bikes..
First of all I will say this, I have 30+ years of riding, MMI grad, top of class for Kawi and Honda, worked in a dealership as a tech, service writer and then service manager. I give my ideas and help freely and you can take it as you want, I do ask that if you find what I say helpful, then you leave me + rep.

LEAVE THE AIRBOX ALONE. Replacing it with pods because you don't like to work around it is not a good idea. Leave stock airbox, stock filter and go back to stock jetting. If your going to rejet then you should also be doing atleast a slip-on exhaust and an after market air filter (example- K&N) but not pods, you will find you will have more trouble then they are worth unless you are using the bike for racing, in which case you will want to do alot more then just a jet kit. As for jet kits....Dynojet makes a kit for that bike, order it from them and follow the directions....you really can't screw these kit installs up unless your a complete idiot (I have seen it done and had to correct it for customers)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...I am all about "having no trouble"....but what kind of trouble am I to expect if i did "tinker" with it? I have rejetted/ and installed aftermarket exhaust/products on every power sports toy that I have ever owned for the last 30 years...so I am comfortable with and do understand it...we currently have 4 street bikes and 4 snowmobiles...that all have mods performed by myself....A weekend warrior for sure!!

Has anyone ever narrowed down a stock air box?? I am in the collision industry and we have some great glues for TPO plastics

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Thanks for the reply...I am all about "having no trouble"....but what kind of trouble am I to expect if i did "tinker" with it? I have rejetted/ and installed aftermarket exhaust/products on every power sports toy that I have ever owned for the last 30 years...so I am comfortable with and do understand it...we currently have 4 street bikes and 4 snowmobiles...that all have mods performed by myself....A weekend warrior for sure!!

Has anyone ever narrowed down a stock air box?? I am in the collision industry and we have some great glues for TPO plastics
In my exp. I have noticed that pods collect more dust and crap out of the air that normally wouldn't go into an airbox (airbox collects from front, pods all around) so that just means alot more upkeep for them, once your jetted where you want to be, there should be no reason to mess with the airbox or carbs until your doing a sync; at which time, if I remember correctly, you don't remove the airbox, you work under it. Pods also have a tendency to come loose and them can come off; where an airbox, even if loose, will stay where it is. Honestly, with the way the motors of today are set up, pods are a thing of the past....unless you are doing carb, motor, exhaust work for a complete mod and racing. I have exp. in modding my personal and other peoples motorcycles (street/dirt), 4-wheelers, water craft and snowmobiles (snowmachines) for both flat land, mountians and racing and have raced street, watercraft and snowmobiles myself.

Reactions: kkim
1 - 5 of 5 Posts