Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently (finally) stiffened my front and rear suspension. It rides a lot better, not like a cadillac anymore. I feel the bike respond better. Now I'm running across a strange issue. Whenever I hit a bump with enough speed (say a speedbump or a construction area where the road is unlevel and I hit it perpendicular) the bike cuts off. Lights still on, but no engine power. I try to crank it and it just cranks. Then if I turn the ignition off then on again, it'll start up no problem. I first noticed this when I came down from a tiny wheelie (maybe 4 inches off the ground), but then noticed it twice on speed bumps in a mall parking lot, and then at an intersection where the cross road had just been paved (thus it was a bump). All I have connected electrically are an Internatrix alarm that's been on there for about 4-5 months, and two LED lights up on the front fairing. These cannot be the cause, I am sure of that. So what could be doing making this happen? Is there some sort of sensor that if the bike's forks compress too much or with too much impulse that it shuts the bike off? I've heard of a sensor that cuts the bike off in case of a flip-over, could this be being triggered somehow??
FYI, it's an '06 ZZR600 I've had new since mid-January.

bret

·
Registered
812 Posts
This is a long shot but, could you be pinhing the tube that comes out of the tank and goes down by the suspension? The tube might be stuck in the spring and might have an affect. Since its cranking, I think there is enough battery juice, and it could be a fuel system problem. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Also check the sidestand. Bike engines sometimes cut out when going over bumps because the sidestand gets jolted by the force of the bump enough to trigger the cutout switch on the sidestand, which then temporarily kills the engine.

This is usually only a brief hiccup though, as once the sidestand returns to it's normal position, the engine starts running again (assuming you're still rolling and haven't stopped or pulled the clutch in).

·
Resident Brit™
1,157 Posts
I would have to say it sounds like the side stand as well, as the force of the bump pushes the stand away from the frame and it only needs a little for it to cut off. This may sound silly but if you can get the help of someone try and tape the stand up so it cant move try your tricks again and see if it still does it. Remember to get them to untape the stand afterwards :):)

Russ

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if it were the sidestand then wouldn't it turn back on once the sidestand returned to it's original position (following the bump)? Because the bike will not turn back on until I turn ignition off and on again. I'll check to see if it's loose or something, maybe there's a bolt I can tighten down there. Aside from that, the sidestand does sound plausible.

For the fuel line, I don't think it's this because if after it cuts off I let the clutch out it starts to go then after I slow down it dies again. So it seems like it's getting fuel. Just sounds like something in the computer and when I toggle ignition it resets.

bret

·
Resident Brit™
1,157 Posts
It might be worth checking all the plug connections to make sure they are all connected properly as it may be due to heavy vibration that will cause the ECU/CDI unit to lose connection etc...

Russ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.